Lowest ratings have dropped off the bottom

Reads 1783 • Replies 27 • Started Sunday, August 13, 2017 9:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 14:06 Mon 8/14/2017

Thanks for all your feedback. Troubleshooting is the hardest part and you’ve done a great job. We’re working on this now.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 17:22 Mon 8/14/2017

Originally posted by SilkTork
It appears to be a pagination error. Whichever way the beers are sorted (by date, by score, by rater) the last pages are not shown. If a beer is sorted by date, and there have been recent low scores, these are shown by date, so it’s not the lowest ratings that are dropped off, just the last pages in whichever configuration the user has. This pagination error is also present in the webpage version, so its not confined to the app, though it may well be caused by the app as some have speculated.

This sounds like "business as usual at RateBeer" rather than any AB conspiracy theories. I understand that there is still a degree of mistrust because Joe has got outside financial assistance, but each alarm results in the same "business as usual" - RateBeer has always struggled to keep going, and code changes have always resulted in crashes and odd things happening. At one time if there were site problems folks used to offer Joe money to help keep the site going, these days there seems to be a higher expectation of a more professional operation but at the same time hostility when finances are sought to assist with that professionalism.

I’m not sure what it is folks want out of RateBeer these days, but this is still a one man show assisted by part-time volunteers.

Hanlon’s razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

(I don’t mean to call Joe and company "stupid," but I do mean to call them "not malicious.")

LazyPyro
beers 8221 º places 63 º 17:34 Mon 8/14/2017

I will copy and paste my earlier message then since no one is paying attention. Just include the private ratings in the count Joe!

Such an easy fix!

Originally posted by LazyPyro
I feel like this is probably a counting error caused by the "private" ratings people are making via the official apps, seems they’re included on the page but not being counted by the pagination function so there’s actually more pages than it thinks. I imagine this is an innocent (but silly) error rather than a nefarious one.

BVery
beers 13631 º places 750 º 00:16 Tue 8/15/2017

Originally posted by Marduk

If there are 11 peeps in the room and only 10 of them are drinking beer you still have 11 peeps in the room. By RB logic we have only 10 peeps in the room?

Correct. If you aren’t drinking beer you are dead to us.

Inbreak
beers 9957 º 01:11 Tue 8/15/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
Originally posted by Inbreak
I have no problems like this, not using the new shitty app at all.

You do have problems *like* this (though not exactly identical to this) - you just haven’t realised it yet, as the RB coders couldn’t SQL their way out of a wet paper bag (and appear to be bug-report-proof).

What’s your 6006th highest rated beer? It’ll be on page 121 (6006=120.~~~) when you sort by score:
https://www.ratebeer.com/user/42530/beer-ratings/121/4/
As of me posting this, it’s Harveys Armada Ale (Cask) (rb beer id=4357).

What’s your 6052nd highest rated beer? It’ll be on page 122 (6052=121.~~~)
https://www.ratebeer.com/user/42530/beer-ratings/122/4/
’Cos right now, it looks like it’s Harveys Armada Ale (Cask) (rb beer id 4357).

I didn’t check up on any specific beer. I have 6193 ratings, ending up at page 124, which is correct. There is no page missing, no beer missing that way. But if a beer shows up on more than one page, that would indicate a sorting problem

FatPhil
beers 26266 º places 998 º 02:26 Tue 8/15/2017

Indeed this second bug is almost certainly a sorting problem. However, if you have the right number of beers in total, and some beers are shown more than once, then an equal number of beers must show up less than once. And there’s a simpler way of saying "show up less than once", namely "missing".

Inbreak
beers 9957 º 03:13 Tue 8/15/2017

Or the sorting problem makes the "missing" beer(s) move one or several pages forward or backwards once you switch page, as long as you have enough beers with the same score to fill up several pages.