Luxembourg Beer Festival?

Reads 3069 • Replies 19 • Started Monday, June 10, 2013 3:22:37 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 00:14 Tue 6/11/2013

Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Originally posted by Travlr
Paging ggaughan, who used to live in Luxembourg (and has been to several beer festivals there). His cousin kkearn would know also.

I’ve met Greg and his wife: I now remember he lived there for a couple of years.

<*))))))><
If he doesn’t respond here, you can try him on Facebook.

I don’t do ’sit-on-your-face-book’.

<*))))))><

McWorta
beers 1632 º places 156 º 01:52 Wed 6/19/2013

There are many beer festivals around in Luxemmbourg but nothing with different beers usually it is either the same beer or only the main luxembourg brands if at all. You will very very rarely see a stand of Bofferding beside a stand of Dikierch or Mousel - either way it scares tastebuds!
Decent beer in Luxembourg is rare and a festival as you would know it from the USA and/or UK, Germany is not exisiting here.
Though the European Brewer Conference was recently here and they tried to have some sort of beer festival in the city center. They failed!
Luxembourg people in general think that wine etc is the best without ever having tried decent beer, for most it is a byproduct to swig down and maybe get pissed.
A shame I know! I am working on this!

McWorta
beers 1632 º places 156 º 01:33 Fri 6/21/2013

Originally posted by caesar
Strange actually, that there is no such thing in Luxemburg. Taxes are usually very beneficial, don’t know about alcohol taxes. And with a lot of breweries in the (belgian and german) vicinity, you cant say there has never been any culture of beer in the area.

Luxembourg has been as far as I can recall it been the last time mentioned under BeNeLux in the beer guide in 1997 with the question how it is possible that this country is in the heart of a big beer region not being capable of brewing decent and variety strong beer?!

sebletitje
beers 11868 º places 491 º 02:00 Fri 6/21/2013

I’d highly recommend attending Brassigaume. Though it is in the Luxembourg province of Belgium it is by far the best beer festival that is close enough to Luxemburg. The fest gets a great panel of Italian and British + Belgian craft breweries.

Sigmund
beers 13313 º places 446 º 12:17 Fri 6/21/2013

This gentleman http://www.ratebeer.com/View-User-22181.htm lives and works in Luxembourg, and has a fairly good idea about what is going on (and not going on) in the Grand Duchy - from a Briton’s point of view.

If you want some in-depth knowledge about Luxembourg beer history, and read French (only the title is in Lutzeburgesch), this book might be for you:
http://beerinnprint.co.uk/description.php?prodid=773

Saarlander
beers 1686 º places 23 º 02:59 Tue 6/25/2013

I am from the area by way of my wife, I was active on the scene and ratebeer for quite a while, but a downturn in the economy here in the US kept me from moving back when I actually had a chance about 4-5 years ago. After a long wait, and hopefully a job transfer in September, I’ll return to my beloved Saarland/And Luxembourg. I hope to be again involved in the beer scene, in Saarland and Luxembourg. Luxembourg had a nice craft brewery called okult? and the beers were pretty good, but they just couldn’t survive, Luxembourg is a quirky place, I love it, but I can’t see how people continue to buy the regular stuff, I like Wiltz, but even they are not doing much new. Wine is the deal here, but even in Saarland, wine is big, but people enjoy their beer as well. Maybe I will start brewing in Salu when I get back, but its one step at a time. I look foreward to re-connecting to the German scene.:-)

McWorta
beers 1632 º places 156 º 11:27 Sun 6/30/2013

Originally posted by Saarlander
I am from the area by way of my wife, I was active on the scene and ratebeer for quite a while, but a downturn in the economy here in the US kept me from moving back when I actually had a chance about 4-5 years ago. After a long wait, and hopefully a job transfer in September, I’ll return to my beloved Saarland/And Luxembourg. I hope to be again involved in the beer scene, in Saarland and Luxembourg. Luxembourg had a nice craft brewery called okult? and the beers were pretty good, but they just couldn’t survive, Luxembourg is a quirky place, I love it, but I can’t see how people continue to buy the regular stuff, I like Wiltz, but even they are not doing much new. Wine is the deal here, but even in Saarland, wine is big, but people enjoy their beer as well. Maybe I will start brewing in Salu when I get back, but its one step at a time. I look foreward to re-connecting to the German scene.:-)

Okult is nice aye but some of the background of it now being owned by Simon is definitely not the right hors d’oeuvre...

Cheers everybody: according to my stats I’ve had 20 different brews from The Grand Duchy, so I’m not doing too badly.

I can also remember that soft, almost smooth Pilsner from the ’Henri Funk’ brewery: I assume the water used for brewing was not as harsh/hard compared to the German Eifel stuff used in Bitburger etc. I was really sad when the brewery closed and even drove passed it just afterwards, is it now flattened?

<*))))))><

McWorta
beers 1632 º places 156 º 02:33 Mon 7/8/2013

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Cheers everybody: according to my stats I’ve had 20 different brews from The Grand Duchy, so I’m not doing too badly.

I can also remember that soft, almost smooth Pilsner from the ’Henri Funk’ brewery: I assume the water used for brewing was not as harsh/hard compared to the German Eifel stuff used in Bitburger etc. I was really sad when the brewery closed and even drove passed it just afterwards, is it now flattened?

<*))))))><

Yea it is now gradually being torn down...