Minor changes to style names

Reads 5272 • Replies 79 • Started Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:03:32 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 14:37 Thu 5/21/2015

Originally posted by JK
"Bamberg-style Rauchbier" and "Smoked Ale?"

I think it’d be as simple as calling them Rauchbier (to include Rauchbier Hell, Rauchbier Marzen, Rauchbock and Rauchdoppelbock) and Smoked Ale (for western examples and hybrid styles that include smoked malts).

Of course, that’s if a consensus is reached to do so.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 14:42 Thu 5/21/2015

Originally posted by phaleslu
Originally posted by JK
"Bamberg-style Rauchbier" and "Smoked Ale?"

I think it’d be as simple as calling them Rauchbier (to include Rauchbier Hell, Rauchbier Marzen, Rauchbock and Rauchdoppelbock) and Smoked Ale (for western examples and hybrid styles that include smoked malts).

Of course, that’s if a consensus is reached to do so.

Sure, i just like the acknowledgement of Bamberg.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 14:48 Thu 5/21/2015

Originally posted by pepsican
Styles are blurring and becoming more and more pointless in modern brewing. Tags should help bridge this gap. Adding more styles feels pointless to me. Dig the imperial change though.

This is true, and you could use this premise to make the case either for addition (splitting out) or subtraction (merging) of styles. For me, I’m not pushing for more or fewer, but rather whatever makes the most sense.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 14:59 Thu 5/21/2015

there are some weird one off beers but the great majority are still easily classified. How many hundreds or thousands of small brewpubs do a porter, a pale ale, and a wheat ale?

humlelala
beers 1377 º places 89 º 15:20 Thu 5/21/2015

Travlr
beers 33894 º places 4585 º 15:21 Thu 5/21/2015

Originally posted by humlelala

EdKing
beers 3662 º places 307 º 16:21 Thu 5/21/2015

Martin Cornell, beer historian is always a good point of information on these sorts of things. According to him there is no historical case for a difference between porters and stouts, although there may have briefly been a point in the 18th century when stouts were stronger porters.

It’s worth remembering that all these styles we create on Ratebeer are meaningless beyond the site. It’s nonsense. I bet if I put a glass of beer labelled by the brewer ’Export Stout’ alongside a glass of beer labelled by the brewer ’Imperial Porter’, no one would be able to define which was which, without the label. It’s pretty arbitrary stuff.

https://zythophile.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/so-what-is-the-difference-between-porter-and-stout/

Leighton
beers 33722 º places 1204 º 16:32 Thu 5/21/2015

Originally posted by EdKing
Martin Cornell, beer historian is always a good point of information on these sorts of things. According to him there is no historical case for a difference between porters and stouts, although there may have briefly been a point in the 18th century when stouts were stronger porters.

It’s worth remembering that all these styles we create on Ratebeer are meaningless beyond the site. It’s nonsense. I bet if I put a glass of beer labelled by the brewer ’Export Stout’ alongside a glass of beer labelled by the brewer ’Imperial Porter’, no one would be able to define which was which, without the label. It’s pretty arbitrary stuff.

https://zythophile.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/so-what-is-the-difference-between-porter-and-stout/

Ed, you’re on a damn shit-stirring mission tonight!

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 16:34 Thu 5/21/2015

Originally posted by EdKing

This is a strange position. Porter and stout are similar, so all styles are arbitrary?

Jow
beers 7344 º places 487 º 16:52 Thu 5/21/2015

Shit if rauchbier becomes a style I have to start grabbing some I think I’ve only had a few this will put my 10 of every style back a bit but challenge excepted.