New BJCP Styles

Reads 2195 • Replies 11 • Started Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:26:11 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 14:26 Thu 7/17/2014

What do you think of the changes? I’m wondering how you would judge a "clone brew." This seems like a train wreck waiting to happen. Maybe they could provide the commercial example so you could judge them side-by-side?

CLevar
places 23 º 14:29 Thu 7/17/2014

A bunch of them are dum a dum dum. I think that some categories, "Brett Beer" in particular, are going to have some issues.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 17:45 Thu 7/17/2014

The biggest issue I see is that you can’t recapitulate what a beer should be like from any document - you need to get out there, travel and find them. It’s not easy and very few people will do it, BJCP judge or not.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 17:56 Thu 7/17/2014

IPAs can be a combination of every color imaginable and be session/regular/double. Session Brown IPA sounds atrocious.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 17:58 Thu 7/17/2014

WTF is an Australian sparkling ale?

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 18:11 Thu 7/17/2014

This seems like WAY too many changes to institute in one update… some of them I like, but others I’m like whaaa? I’d hate to be a judge and have to test this minefield.

One other thing I thought was interesting was the overall impression section of the styles will now be an " expanded consumer focused description". Could this be a nod to the beer geek community aka BA and ratebeer? I’ve always been frustrated by the rigidity in BJCP and how they sometimes reject or downgrade beers because of being "outside style guidelines". Am I interpreting this correctly as meaning they will now be giving a bit more attention to the overall enjoyment of the beer rather than how perfectly it fits into their guide?

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 13:53 Fri 7/18/2014

Originally posted by BoostIPA

A very obscure style. Looks like there is only one commercial example available today? Ratebeer calls the currently available example a Golden/Blonde Ale.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Coopers Sparkling Ale is brewed naturally by the centuries-old top fermentation method just as it was in the beginning by Thomas Cooper. This beer displays a solid head and a distinctive, full-bodied flavour enhanced by a soft, fruity character and the sediment which gives it a cloudy appearance

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 13:55 Fri 7/18/2014

Hopefully, a bunch of mis-characterizations of various styles will get corrected. Joris Pattyn might even be pleased.

JohnF
13:59 Fri 7/18/2014

My feeling is that a lot of the international styles have been fixed and black/rye IPA are out of specialty, great.

As someone who has been judge coordinator for about ten comps I have people with 3000+ ticks here or elsewhere that can probably judge the clone category well. Either way the entrant is providing a description of the cloned beer.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 19:55 Fri 7/18/2014

Originally posted by bitbucket

A very obscure style. Looks like there is only one commercial example available today? Ratebeer calls the currently available example a Golden/Blonde Ale.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Coopers Sparkling Ale is brewed naturally by the centuries-old top fermentation method just as it was in the beginning by Thomas Cooper. This beer displays a solid head and a distinctive, full-bodied flavour enhanced by a soft, fruity character and the sediment which gives it a cloudy appearance

It’s a pale ale - nothing more and nothing less. Fruity yeast and moderately hoppy but it’s not a separate style.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 15:18 Sun 7/20/2014

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by bitbucket

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION

It’s a pale ale - nothing more and nothing less. Fruity yeast and moderately hoppy but it’s not a separate style.

A big part of the addition was a nod to the international community. People in Australia have been hounding Gordon for years. It’s not the same. The lineage is closer to standard cream ale than apa.

As to the clone comment, there has ALWAYS been clone beers. The addition if the category is specifically for beers that don’t fit other styles. A clone of daisy cutter is under APA. Realistically, there shouldn’t be many entries in clone. There have been very involved discussions on the bjcp forum about this and it will shake out right.

Lastly, these are a draft. The biggest change, actually, is the organization. It also is the most contested issue with the guidelines. Well, that and the Kentucky common description. Anyhow, if anybody wants to talk about this, hit me up.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer