New to good Taste

Reads 2194 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:19:32 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

77ships
beers 14200 º places 929 º 11:56 Thu 11/7/2013

I had the same issue in the beginning.

In my experience, easiest way to learn how to appoint descriptions to beer is to pick up a beer & read the reviews whilst drinking. See which flavours you can find, don’t force yourself to find them. If you can find one, good if not also good. If you read the descriptions & recognize the taste, you can easily ascribe a flavour to it. It is like a fun guessing game.

Also useful, find the most extreme example you can possibly get. Once you taste a beer 100 % peated, pine hops, infected etc. you will never forget the taste.

Also if you drink a lot of examples from the same style you will learn the difference quickly, like if you try for instance 20+ random IIPA’s, you will see immediately what sets them apart.

rennat42
beers 5366 º places 205 º 17:06 Sat 12/28/2013

Just keep going. When I started out I couldn’t stand a sip of an IPA. The more variety I drank the more I was able to decipher the complexities of them. I am to the point where I can now tell a slight difference in hop varieties . My best friend is an English major and great at writing reviews and I have a bad vocabulary so I just look at what he writes to hopefully incorporate some of those words into my future reviews. I’m still beginning myself but just keep drinking! You’ll get it.

John_Kelvin
02:12 Sun 12/29/2013

a lot of usefull information
thank you