Oenococcus oeni

Reads 3400 • Replies 19 • Started Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:00:34 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 08:32 Tue 8/4/2015

Did you try any? (Smell or taste?)

HornyDevil
09:31 Tue 8/4/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
Did you try any? (Smell or taste?)

Smelled the starter and it smelled pleasant. None of that classic lactic acid nose. More like pear and apple. Made me think of ethyl acetate at low levels. Didn’t get much more involved than that. Figured that if it’s only producing lactic acid and CO2 with no ethanol that it might not be wise to taste it until some yeast (both Sacc. and Brett.) had done some work. My thoughts are that it won’t be that difficult to discern as it is the only LAB in the mix. Now that you bring it up, I’m a little miffed that I didn’t do a more thorough sensory evaluation on the starter. Oh well. Maybe next time?

HornyDevil
08:40 Wed 8/12/2015

Racked this beer into a secondary fermenter this past weekend. Smells and tastes very good, but it needs some time for the brett character to come around. I usually bottle my sour beers about 8 weeks after the last fermentable sugar is added, but this time I think that I’ll let it ride for somewhere between 3 - 6 months. Whenever it starts forming a pellicle, basically.

User52877
places 3 º 20:05 Sun 8/16/2015

You’ve piqued my interest and am following this even if I understand only one of every 5 or 6 sentences.

You are welcome to use my meter if you like.

HornyDevil
08:37 Mon 10/26/2015

I bottled this beer this weekend. Initial impression are very positive. Mild to moderate, very clean, acidity. I’ll post a complete review of the beer once it carbonates and conditions.

CLevar
places 23 º 22:35 Mon 10/26/2015

Cool! Excited to hear what you think of the final beer. If you have any data on pH, TA, etc, I’d be interested in seeing it.

HornyDevil
04:35 Tue 10/27/2015

Cool! Excited to hear what you think of the final beer. If you have any data on pH, TA, etc, I’d be interested in seeing it.

I’ll have to get a hold of a pH meter and see what it tells me.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 11:10 Tue 10/27/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil

Send Caleb or I a bottle or two and we can test it! :D

HornyDevil
09:59 Wed 10/28/2015

Originally posted by Bacterial
Originally posted by HornyDevil

Send Caleb or I a bottle or two and we can test it! :D

PM me your address and I’ll send it, and a couple other sours, your way.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer