Oklahoma Onion Burgers

Reads 1405 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:02:53 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 22:02 Wed 5/22/2013

In light of the tornadoes this week, I thought I should post one of Oklahoma’s great contributions to food.

Invented during the Depression to make beef stretch better, they are very simple but one of those dishes that are way greater than the sum of their parts.

Good approximation recipe:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Sids-Onion-Burger

A few notes after making this a second time tonight:
1. I use an iron skillet, hot.
2. Thanks to cheeseman, great advise to smash the burger balls into a thin patty in the skillet with a big can. I used a can of San Marzanos I had in the pantry with some wax paper and a rubber band to keep it clean.
3. Yes really. That many onions. Smash them into the meat good as stated about a minute before flipping
4. When the onions are looking like they are browning well meat is pretty much done. Throw some cheese on top and I inverted another skillet to "dome" it to melt quickly.
5. Traditional toppings are usually very minimal. The way it is usually served is ketchup, mustard, and pickle.

Swillbur
beers 63 º places 25 º 22:13 Wed 5/22/2013

Look out for Prairie Artisan ales!

Swillbur
beers 63 º places 25 º 22:14 Wed 5/22/2013

that sounds good too

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 04:08 Thu 5/23/2013

Thanks for the positive nod to Oklahoma, a place still suffering Monday’s horrible tornado tragedy.

Good to see Saveur recognizing this perfect, simple food. What do you think of adding sweet, dark beer as recommended after the recipe? We used to have turkey burger stout recipe around here that was not all that far from these onion burgers.

Cobra
beers 1100 º places 24 º 05:20 Thu 5/23/2013

My thoughts go out to Oakies too. I hope they pull thru this terrible tragedy.

That said, the best onion burger I ever had was a little sidewalk stand in Vicksburg, Mississippi, of all places. They shaved the onions on a deli slicer so thin, they only had one side. They had a really old gas fired griddle, probably made around the Civil War.
Fried the onions a few mins, then smashed the burger balls into the onions. One side only. Served with mustard & dill pickle chips on a soft potato roll. The grease burns were heavenly.

(P.S.- I have kin folk in Tulsa OK, so I’m allowed to call them Oakies.)

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 06:27 Thu 5/23/2013

I’m gonna make this recipe in their honor. =) Thanks.

Shaftie
beers 218 º places 8 º 07:08 Thu 5/23/2013

We Okies are a resilent lot. Most of my fellow Oklahomans will appreciate even the smallest symbolic gesture.

Regards

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 07:11 Thu 5/23/2013

Originally posted by Cobra

P.P.S. Then you should know it’s Okie.

Shaftie
beers 218 º places 8 º 07:17 Thu 5/23/2013

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Originally posted by Cobra

P.P.S. Then you should know it’s Okie.

^ The real reason behind my post. I suppose if any place should mix it up it’s a place that goes crazy for barrel-aged treatments and tossing in oak chips.

PhillyBeer2112
beers 3500 º places 102 º 12:58 Thu 5/23/2013

This sounds like a down home version of a White Castle burger, and I wonder if there’s a connection since White Castle/King’s X burgers started in Wichita, not far from Oklahoma.
When I make my imitation white castle sliders at home I use onion soup mix in the patties, and sauteed diced onions and a pickle as the only toppings.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 16:20 Thu 5/23/2013

Originally posted by PhillyBeer2112
This sounds like a down home version of a White Castle burger, and I wonder if there’s a connection since White Castle/King’s X burgers started in Wichita, not far from Oklahoma.
When I make my imitation white castle sliders at home I use onion soup mix in the patties, and sauteed diced onions and a pickle as the only toppings.

Sort of but not really. The difference is the sheer amount of sweet onion. We’re talking a half of a small onion per 1/4 lb patty!

It makes for great flavor when cooked to just before burnt on the onion side.

Cobra, the Vicksburg place sounds interesting. I’m on the other side of the state and I’ve never seen it make outside of Oklahoma, but what you describe sounds very much like them.

Up here in North Mississippi the answer to the Depression was the "Slugburger" (so named because they used to cost a nickel or slug as it was known in slang) or "doughburger" depending on what town you are in. I’m not a big fan....you stretch the meat by adding bread. There is a place here in my town of New Albany just featured on Travel Channel’s Burger Land called Latham’s that does an unusual version that the host loved, with the flavor coming from being fried in a 70 year old iron skillet, but as he said it doesn’t taste at all like a burger, it is totally different.