Order the Scandinavian countries by beer and beer place quality

Reads 6859 • Replies 48 • Started Friday, August 5, 2011 1:07:41 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FrumptyDumpty
12:42 Fri 8/5/2011

What is your local/regional brewery doing that is new and not following others? If a brewery makes a IPA to you that means they are following some other brewery? Also Narke made a beer with the anal glands of a beaver, nogne has been making Sake, Svanke brewed a smoked beer with tar and another beer with salt water from behind the brewery, I am sure some of the scandinavians can give you more examples of the originality that brewers have put forth over here.

I see you are located in PA. What are your local breweries doing that can not be considered "following" others?

Cornfield
beers 5569 º places 143 º 12:43 Fri 8/5/2011

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by Rasmus40
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
I just like the Fact that Joe lit the touch paper and stood well back

Yes, I thought about that a few times during the day. He simply asked a question and vanished, leaving the rest of us to argue.

I was counting on the Scandinavians setting a fine example of civil discussion of a contentious issue. I think they have.

I agree. It was an informative discussion with people agreeing to disagree.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 16:42 Fri 8/5/2011

Originally posted by larsga
Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
I get the feeling at times he post this stuff to get people upset and then reads the thread and masturbates. It’s the only way he can get off anymore.

Don’t feed the trolls.

+1

konstifik
beers 573 º places 37 º 09:09 Sat 8/6/2011

Originally posted by yngwie
I guess Systembolaget does as the Norwegian equivalent, Vinmonopolet. They have a fixed amount of kroners they shall earn for each bottle no matter what they pay for it, making especially some of the more expensive wines and liquors very cheap. A bottle of wine that Vinmopolet pays 50 kroner for and a bottle of wine they pay 500 kroner for will leave them with the same earnings per bottle.

No, they have a fixed markup which I’m pretty sure is 19% on the price they get from the distributors. Then there’s a very small addition (a bottle handling fee or something like that) that ranges from about 50 ör to somewhere around 1,50 kronor (10-30 US cents). I think there is (or maybe was) some kind of upper limit on the mark-up so that above a certain price, the mark-up would be the same for everything but that doesn’t really matter with beers as they are never that expensive (perhaps Utopias was though).

konstifik
beers 573 º places 37 º 09:18 Sat 8/6/2011

Originally posted by konstifik
Thanks. From what I can see from this link (providing I understand it correctly), there is no doubt that Danish beer shops provide a better selection. There are a few barrel aged American beers, that I haven’t seen around, but most of the other stuff (except for the Swedish beers of course) is available in Denmark as well.

True, but this is only a list of news. Then there’s the regular beers as well. IMO Systembolaget carry a lot of good everyday beers like Oppigårds Amarillo, Brewdog Punk IPA, Coopers Best Extra Stout, Great Divide Yeti, Flying Dog Gonzo, Nils Oscar Hop Yard IPA, Weihenstephaner Hefe, Schneider Aventinus, Rodenbach Grand Cru etc etc at better prices and more easily accessible (in my experience) than in Denmark. Walking into a beer shop in Denmark you won’t find a lot of good beers under 25 DKK. All of those I listed above are cheaper than 25 DKK. I’ve only been to a few supermarkets in Denmark but they haven’t really impressed with their beer selections and prices for the stuff I would like to drink again are high there too.

I have seen the regular selection a month ago and that is easily beaten by Danish beer stores in terms of selection. Prices are lower in Sweden as we have already established.

You can’t compare Systembolaget to a Danish super market. Danish super markets in general have very little interesting beer, although there are exceptions, but then again Swedish super markets are very limited in their selection due to the 3.5 % ABV limit.

In terms of selection yes, I fully agree. But when factoring in the prices, Sweden wins by a mile IMO. Any good hoppy lagers over there? Hornbeer Dryhop comes to mind. A 5% lager dryhopped with amarillo. Good stuff, but still nothing more special than a hoppy lager. A 500 ml bottle retails at 45 dkk, which equals $8,60. I think that’s just silly. An equally good hoppy lager is half the price in Sweden. My point is that I can drink good everyday beer without getting ruined in Sweden. Hence my opinion that I prefer to live in Sweden despite Denmark having a somewhat better general selection of beer.

konstifik
beers 573 º places 37 º 09:20 Sat 8/6/2011

As for Sweden being the best country in Scandavia for beer shops that has to be the joke of the year. Unless, of course, you enjoy trying the "same" beer in different alcohol strengths (2.8, 3.5, 5.2, 7.6, 10.2), in which case they are world leaders. Yes, the three special Systembolaget shops are quite good. No, they are not better than the Danish shops.

We are talking about good beer, not shitty macro stuff. And btw, Arboga probably have a 2,25 % beer as well ;)

SaintMatty
beers 10537 º places 381 º 11:40 Sat 8/6/2011

Some interesting points have been raised on this thread. I think that Denmark has the best range of beers available and the most breweries,but the prices are a bit expensive.

Norway and Finland are better than Sweden in terms of the beers on sale in supermarkets, which is understandable as they have a lot more to choose from because of the silly 3.5% limit in the supermarkets in Sweden.

The prices of beers (even at supermarket strength) in Finland and Norway and generally much higher than in Sweden and as Johan pointed out above,you can get some really tasty and affordable beers at competitive prices in Sweden.

In terms of bars, I think all of the countries have got some great places,but Denmark probably edges it because you can take bottles home from the bars,whereas that’s prohibited (except in certain cases) in Norway,Finland and Sweden.

I also agree with what Per said in that the overall quality of microbreweries in Sweden is higher than that of the micros in Finland and Norway.

larsga
beers 7693 º places 245 º 12:50 Sat 8/6/2011

Originally posted by konstifik
As for Sweden being the best country in Scandavia for beer shops that has to be the joke of the year. Unless, of course, you enjoy trying the "same" beer in different alcohol strengths (2.8, 3.5, 5.2, 7.6, 10.2), in which case they are world leaders. Yes, the three special Systembolaget shops are quite good. No, they are not better than the Danish shops.

We are talking about good beer, not shitty macro stuff. And btw, Arboga probably have a 2,25 % beer as well ;)

I know. It was meant as sarcasm.