Pittsburgh Advice

Reads 893 • Replies 14 • Started Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:54:08 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cratez
places 257 º 13:51 Fri 7/20/2012

Originally posted by Beerman6686
Helltown and Fat Heads are probably the best Pittsburgh stuff. You mentioned East End and Church. There’s also Draai Laag which is a decent new small brewery here, and Penn brewery for german stuff. We have all the Victory stuff here. Voodoo makes some nice stuff specifically the Big Black Voodoo Daddy. Stoudts has some nice offerings as well as Sly Fox. If you are looking for stuff that you can’t get in most of the North East and not just Canada, I highly recommend making the trip to house of 1000 beers. Probably a half hour drive from the city but well worth it for stuff that’s not usually available around here. Right now they have stuff from 3 Floyds, Russian River, Deschutes, The Bruery, Lost Abbey, Alesmith, Surly, Hair of the Dog, and some nice Belgian stuff on top of all of the other great stuff that other places have around here.

Much appreciated. I’ll be on the look out for all of those breweries. House of 1000 Beers sounds absolutely wild. With that level of quality I’m willing to make the trek, even if it’s a little inconvenient. Cheers!

HornyDevil
14:05 Fri 7/20/2012

Give a holler when you’re going to be at The House and I’ll try to meet you there.

Nate
beers 4279 º places 330 º 17:46 Sat 7/21/2012

Originally posted by Beerman6686
Helltown and Fat Heads are probably the best Pittsburgh stuff.

... except Fat Heads is an Ohio brewery.

If you can find Otto’s Double-D IPA or Jolly Roger Imp Stout in bombers in the stores here, it’s worth a taste. East End beers on tap (Pedal Pale ale is in season right now) are solid. Stoudt’s, Victory, Weyerbacher, Voodoo, Sly Fox ... they all have good choices.

Historical PA beers that aren’t ’must haves’ would be Yuengling, Straub, Iron City, and Stegmaier. Rolling Rock is no longer made in PA.

PGHbeer77
beers 571 º places 22 º 10:46 Thu 7/26/2012

Beerman: Agreed on Helltown and Fat Heads!

cratez: Sorry to cause you worry over the cabs. I’ve just had friends come into town and find the local cab system troublesome. I agree with Beerman, that the Southside shouldn’t pose too much of a problem hailing a cab at night. My only advice there is that if you’re headed to the Southside on the weekend, try to go out and grab a cab shortly before 2AM, because there will be droves of people hunting cabs all at once when the bars let out. Other than that, just call ahead of time if you’re going elsewhere.