Pliny The Younger on eBay!

Reads 16029 • Replies 70 • Started Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:44:56 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pbrick
beers 13 º places 4 º 10:16 Wed 2/9/2011

Originally posted by gunhaver
Originally posted by italarican
Originally posted by pbrick
Just because you buy a pint in a bar does not give you the legal right to remove that alcohol from the site. In fact, that’s illegal.

I’m surprised this part has been so overlooked. Some of the particularly entitled posters I’ve seen are so preoccupied about justifying why they should be able to do whatever they want once they order a beer that they forget to consider whether they even technically can by law. I’m not familiar with CA law period, but I’d imagine retrictions in what you can do with a bottled beer you’ve purchased at a brewpub differ from what you can do with an ordered pint.

it’s overlooked because no one cares. trading beer isn’t legal. doesn’t stop anyone on either website.

The legality of trading has some gray areas - mainly when you start shipping across state lines, primarily due to taxation concerns. If, for instance, you are caught trading beer - you are held accountable for your actions - you take the risk. If you are caught taking a unregistered beer from a brewery in California, the BREWERY is held accountable. Not that this offense is tightly regulated, but IF the ABC were to happen to pick up on code enforcement - all of the sudden a patron’s dickish move costs the brewer serious money.

You’re right that apparently nobody cares - I wonder if people know?

mkade8883
beers 250 º places 28 º 12:53 Wed 2/9/2011

OK since this has everyone fired up, I want to ask a question. I went last night with a couple of friends at 7 pm, but they had run out an hour ago. I’m going again Saturday morning with some different friends, but one of the guys I went last night with was really bummed out he didn’t get to try Younger. He can’t make it back up. Would it be highly frowned upon if I "hand bottled" a 50 mL container to bring back to the bay for him to try the next day? For me, the last thing I want to do is upset RRBC or Vinnie. In this case, it’s obviously not for personal gain and will be drank quickly. Still bad?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 13:06 Wed 2/9/2011

Originally posted by mkade8883
OK since this has everyone fired up, I want to ask a question. I went last night with a couple of friends at 7 pm, but they had run out an hour ago. I’m going again Saturday morning with some different friends, but one of the guys I went last night with was really bummed out he didn’t get to try Younger. He can’t make it back up. Would it be highly frowned upon if I "hand bottled" a 50 mL container to bring back to the bay for him to try the next day? For me, the last thing I want to do is upset RRBC or Vinnie. In this case, it’s obviously not for personal gain and will be drank quickly. Still bad?

Still very illegal and would put RR in a very bad legal situation.

Is this for Oakland or the City? Isn’t Beer Revolution, Trappist, Toronado, City Beer getting kegs? I’m pretty sure Barley and Hops in Occidental is getting one.

mkade8883
beers 250 º places 28 º 13:18 Wed 2/9/2011

Originally posted by joet

Is this for Oakland or the City? Isn’t Beer Revolution, Trappist, Toronado, City Beer getting kegs? I’m pretty sure Barley and Hops in Occidental is getting one.

We’re in the East Bay, but that’s a great point. My only concern would be kegs at those accounts going real fast, but that seems like a smarter plan.

SamGamgee99
13:43 Wed 2/9/2011

We’re in the East Bay, but that’s a great point. My only concern would be kegs at those accounts going real fast, but that seems like a smarter plan.

I guess you should do what you reasonably can to try the beer, but lets get realistic here. The beer isn’t going to change anyones life. It won’t cure cancer. It’s not that big of a deal.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 13:48 Wed 2/9/2011

Originally posted by SamGamgee It won’t cure cancer.

Then why did I buy that 300 dollar hand bottle?

mkade8883
beers 250 º places 28 º 14:27 Wed 2/9/2011

Originally posted by SamGamgee

I guess you should do what you reasonably can to try the beer, but lets get realistic here. The beer isn’t going to change anyones life. It won’t cure cancer. It’s not that big of a deal.

I’m not saying it is. But if a friend wants to try it, and it doesn’t take that much effort, there’s no need to look down on that, right?

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 15:24 Wed 2/9/2011

They’re obviously on a higher alert for people sneaking the beer out of the brewpub. You will probably be caught and you will probably be kicked out. You’ll probably even get banned from the brewpub. Remember when that guy tried to trade a hand bottle of Oak Aged Dark Lord?

hamilton23
beers 619 º places 11 º 16:15 Wed 2/9/2011

ElTorofuerte
20:38 Mon 2/21/2011

Evening everyone. When I came across this thread,was surprised that beer was being auctioned off. Well I browsed ebay for pliny(after reading this thread) and found several auctions for pliny the elder not the younger. Either way kinda crazy the prices they are asking for. Havnt gotten a chance to try pliny younger or elder but want to. Judging by the reviews seems like a great beer. But wouldnt buy from ebay, just seems wrong. lol Sadly I havnt had any luck locating this beer here in Central Florida.