Post your 2014 Founder’s KBS Release Goofy-ness here!

Reads 5390 • Replies 74 • Started Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:02:08 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

dtjager
19:52 Wed 4/2/2014

Originally posted by mikem409
Originally posted by dtjager
Originally posted by mikem409
hey pepsi not sure what type of profit you get of rar releases like KBS but would it almost benefit you to just scroll past and not bother getting them in?

This is a really good question I’d love to see an answer to. The shops by my house are pretty good about posting to Twitter when things come in but you can tell there are a lot of people working there that hate dealing with it. As a customer you are often made to feel guilty or stupid for wanting these limited releases but at the same time they sell the shit so they must be making money on it. I’m new to beer and have never had KBS so I’d definitely like to try it and decide for myself if it’s worth the hype. Not sure I should need to deal with a vendor’s distain to get the opportunity to buy 2 bottles out of a 4 pack. Is the hassle really worth it for the stores? Seems like maybe it’s not.

If you strike out send me your address I will send you a KBS

Wow that’s a really kind offer. I’m guessing I will be ok at my local place tomorrow (release at 5, 2 bottle limit) or I will trade for it but really nice looking out!

jingledell
places 1 º 22:30 Wed 4/2/2014

I won’t tell you where I work (I don’t want them getting hatemail), but it is nice having multiple locations (2) that will save you a couple of bottles. I also don’t mind standing in line (thank God for the public library). If standing in line chafes at you a bit maybe we’ll talk trade after I’m done hunting.

garthicus
beers 3025 º places 65 º 03:24 Thu 4/3/2014

I hear whispers that we’re getting some in Ireland too!

smith4498
beers 4285 º places 20 º 07:36 Thu 4/3/2014

Originally posted by pepsican
I would imagine the profit margins we make are enough to pay for the before/during/aftermath of the release. Answering phone calls, customers coming in asking about KBS, etc. all takes staff away from normal duties. You’d assume it drives business in some way, but of the 36 four packs we sold to 36 different customers, one customer bought something beyond the KBS, and it was a $5 clearance product.

In the end I guess you break even + get "cred" from the select few that were able to buy the beer.

"KBS - can purchase 1 bottle (or 4 pack) with $100 beer purchase*"

*does not apply to regular customers

keeps the truck chasers away and regulars happy

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 07:43 Thu 4/3/2014

We tried that once, I think something like that, it makes people very mad. Honestly just like putting it on the shelf with a limit as soon as it gets in. Post about it via social media. Done dealing with it 5 minutes later and 100 people aren’t standing in line for a beer.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 07:54 Thu 4/3/2014

Originally posted by blklab2007
I did not go out looking at all this year but I have two smaller local stores I did get updates from. One is an out of the way hole in the wall place where most things sit on the shelf. He sold out in under ten minutes to truck chasers and people who never frequent the shop otherwise. The other one limited it to two bottles a person and you had to buy 2 bottles Curmudgeon with it. They flat out said the distributer forced them to purchase the Curmudgeon so contact Founders and complain to them about the requirement to purchase it.

The place I stopped to see if they had any got one case. When I inquired he said all the KBS was spoken for be he had plenty of Curmudgeon and I could buy as much of that as I wanted. I wonder if other distibutors were ’forcing’ Curmudgeon purchases to go with KBS allotments...

ohiobeer29
08:44 Thu 4/3/2014

whole foods Columbus ohio in upper Arlington lost my business forever.called them at 12 they stated 1 4 pack per customer and told the rest that as well.I drove an hour stood in line an hour when it comes in the employees come out like we are keeping 4 4 packs and you guys get 1 bottle each. every one was pissed.I was pretty sure the first guy in line was going punch them out he had been there longer than the rest of us

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 09:56 Thu 4/3/2014

1) why do I pay so much for a beer I am not sure I will like?
2) one store nearby sold out in 12 minutes
3) other store said they would not be getting any, was at register right when I saw a coworker of mine that just happened to be buying one
4) will I like it?

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 10:06 Thu 4/3/2014

I hope and pray this kind of insanity stays away from the Pacific NW, though I guess we have the same problem with Bourbon County and a few other limited releases.

Tooch4321
beers 11 º 10:12 Thu 4/3/2014

KBS? Pfff...that’s so 2009