Pumpkin Ale Plus?

Reads 732 • Replies 7 • Started Sunday, September 20, 2015 7:38:09 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 19:38 Sun 9/20/2015

Today I brewed an extract pumpkin ale. This will be shared at a couple of parties that will not be attended by craft beer people.

Pumpkin ales tend to be kind of meh so I am thinking of amping this up by soaking some oak chips in an ounce of Makers Mark whiskey and adding that to the secondary (and perhaps the keg).

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Strykzone
Today I brewed an extract pumpkin ale. This will be shared at a couple of parties that will not be attended by craft beer people.

Pumpkin ales tend to be kind of meh so I am thinking of amping this up by soaking some oak chips in an ounce of Makers Mark whiskey and adding that to the secondary (and perhaps the keg).

Thoughts?

Alltech (Kentucky Ale) Makes a Bourbon Barrel Pumpkin Ale; I’m a outlier in that I liked it quite a bit, so I think it could be worth a shot.

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 19:53 Sun 9/20/2015

Sounds interesting! Thanks!!

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by Strykzone

Thoughts?

Alltech (Kentucky Ale) Makes a Bourbon Barrel Pumpkin Ale; I’m a outlier in that I liked it quite a bit, so I think it could be worth a shot.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 20:31 Sun 9/20/2015

I may be in the minority in this, but I don’t think pumpkin should be mixed with bourbon. Bourbon is too dominatng...will mute the spices and nuances of the pumpkin aspects. But who knows. Maybe it will be great. Maybe do half and half and see what people think?

skinnyguy
08:43 Mon 9/21/2015

You could use the bourbon to make a spice tincture. That would also give you full control over the level of spice in the beer.

I’ve done spiced beers with whiskey before that turned out great. Go for it!

Senormac
beers 16 º places 2 º 09:11 Thu 10/1/2015

Let us know what you ended up doing and how it came out. There must be a huge pumpkin ale following out there since almost every brewery puts one out this time of year.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 12:43 Thu 10/1/2015

I’ve had really nice BA pumpkin beers that are brandy barreled or rum barreled, though I like bourbon better usually. Compliments the flavors better methinks :)

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 20:26 Fri 10/2/2015

Knob Creek whiskey soaked in oak chips is in the secondary. It will be there for a couple more weeks. We will see how it comes out.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer