Question?

Reads 2024 • Replies 22 • Started Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:29:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 09:29 Wed 12/18/2013

I want to make braised red cabbage to go alongside a roast duck but I do not want to braise in red wine I thought I might use a beer instead. Do you all think that mad elf by troegs would be a good choice for braising liquid?

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 09:38 Wed 12/18/2013

If you really want to go with beer, nothing wrong with your selection. Personally though, I don’t think I’d drop the wine for your braised cabbage/duck combo. It tastes so awesome, and then you can pair it with a really amazing beer (Something Czech if you want to be super traditional!)

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 09:45 Wed 12/18/2013

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
If you really want to go with beer, nothing wrong with your selection. Personally though, I don’t think I’d drop the wine for your braised cabbage/duck combo. It tastes so awesome, and then you can pair it with a really amazing beer (Something Czech if you want to be super traditional!)

Thanks. I am trying to substitute beer for wine in recipes and learn which ones will work best.

degbert
beers 1824 º places 19 º 09:46 Wed 12/18/2013

Originally posted by pinkie
I want to make braised red cabbage to go alongside a roast duck but I do not want to braise in red wine I thought I might use a beer instead. Do you all think that mad elf by troegs would be a good choice for braising liquid?

I agree -- I wouldn’t drop the wine. That said, if you were determined to use beer, what about a lambic? Or a beer with a touch of fruit to it?

degbert
beers 1824 º places 19 º 09:47 Wed 12/18/2013

Originally posted by degbert

I agree -- I wouldn’t drop the wine. That said, if you were determined to use beer, what about a lambic? Or a beer with a touch of fruit to it?

Clarifying -- understanding the Mad Elf has some fruit to it. It’s not, however, listed as a Fruit Beer, so I assume the fruit is understated. (Haven’t had it.)

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 10:04 Wed 12/18/2013

Clarifying -- understanding the Mad Elf has some fruit to it. It’s not, however, listed as a Fruit Beer, so I assume the fruit is understated. (Haven’t had it.)

I happened to have it in the refrigerator. So there’s that. =) I wanted to do up the cabbage a little differently this time with some apple and maybe a clove or tow for spice. I thought the cherry flavor in the mad elf and the honey would compliment the apple as well as the cabbage.

Perrin515
places 1 º 10:44 Wed 12/18/2013

I think it will work just fine. What I do think it will be missing is some acidity. Might want to try and add a bit of vinegar to it to aid in flavor and color. Without the acid of a wine, you wont get the bright pinkish purple from the red cabbage (bases make red cabbage turn a bluish color), but the beer will taste good with the apples.

nimbleprop
beers 15419 º places 134 º 10:56 Wed 12/18/2013

I wanted to do up the cabbage a little differently this time with some apple and maybe a clove or tow for spice. I thought the cherry flavor in the mad elf and the honey would compliment the apple as well as the cabbage.

If this is the case, then I think Mad Elf would work well.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 11:00 Wed 12/18/2013

Originally posted by Perrin515
I think it will work just fine. What I do think it will be missing is some acidity. Might want to try and add a bit of vinegar to it to aid in flavor and color. Without the acid of a wine, you wont get the bright pinkish purple from the red cabbage (bases make red cabbage turn a bluish color), but the beer will taste good with the apples.

I am going to add some sherry vinegar in that case. =) Thanks.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 11:01 Wed 12/18/2013

Originally posted by nimbleprop
I wanted to do up the cabbage a little differently this time with some apple and maybe a clove or tow for spice. I thought the cherry flavor in the mad elf and the honey would compliment the apple as well as the cabbage.

If this is the case, then I think Mad Elf would work well.

I am thinking I could even use it to baste the final cooking time for the duck itself.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 11:59 Wed 12/18/2013

Here is my finished duck and this test run with mad elf was a success. The cabbage was not the same as the classic french dish but the apples gave it a tartneess and the beer did not turn it bitter. Imade a pan sauce of a littl ecitrus juice and fogot the soy sauce because th smpke detector in my apartmnet was goin goff but that was delicious with the duck and I hardley missed it excpet for color. The potaotes are simple rose,ary roast potaotes and inot the duck cavity I put rosemary thyme and half an orange.

Mad elf went with the meal in the glass too I think and don’t be afraid to cook a duck!