Raleigh next weekend

Reads 492 • Replies 9 • Started Thursday, September 4, 2014 7:03:01 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Keir
beers 183 º places 1 º 07:03 Thu 9/4/2014

The wife and I will be in Raleigh for Farm Aid. I’ve done a bit of research, but have a few questions:

Growler laws? Outside growlers? Size limits?

After-show beer bar close to airport or Walnut Creek?

If you were to choose one beer store what would it be? Tasty Bev? Sam’s? Bottle Revolution? (BR "seems" like the best choice)

Any chance of finding Wicked Weed on the shelf?

Little known, under the radar breweries (that bottle/can) or beers that are not to be missed

T.Hanks, , and all that, Keir

weihenweizen
beers 6991 º places 700 º 07:17 Thu 9/4/2014

I went to this area in late May 2014. I have been to the bottle shops you list and if I could only go to one bottle shop I would go to Sam’s Quick Shop. I called Sam’s and they had some Wicked Weed. If there were specific bottles you are interested in I would just call them (or if Sam’s doesn’t have it call the others).

TURDFERGUSON
beers 4067 º places 154 º 14:22 Thu 9/4/2014

I work at Sam’s Quik Shop, but I also grew up and have lived around the triangle for over 25 years. I’ve only been with Sam’s for about a year. I have been to just about every beer store in the area at this point. I would say Sam’s has the best (read: most comprehensive and largest) selection of any beer store in the triangle. We DO NOT fill any growlers at the store though. I know a few beer stores in the are do (including, but maybe not limited to, Beer Study in Chapel Hill--just the one I know of and the one that I like the best). We have consistently had Serenity and Bretticent from Wicked Weed for the last few months so there’s a good chance they will still be there. Most of our more limited offerings go very fast (read: the day they come in, or the next day) so I’m not sure what will be available there on any given day you come in, but I guess that’s the advantage of there being many different beer stores in the area these days. Peter (phaleslu) has already contacted me about your upcoming visit, Keir. Hope I can help you when you are there. Cheers, Sam

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 15:05 Thu 9/4/2014

Originally posted by TURDFERGUSON
I work at Sam’s Quik Shop
Cheers, Sam

Coincidence or providence?

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 15:09 Thu 9/4/2014

Another vote for Sam’s.

And though Sam noted they don’t fill growlers, they do have a few beers on draft and have pre-filled growlers from local breweries available (Sam can correct me if any of that’s changed in the last year).

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 21:02 Thu 9/4/2014

Sam’s, then Bottle Revolution if you have any remaining time and money.

Most breweries will only fill their own growlers, however this keeps the price for the glass down. Most breweries seem to have 64 ounce screw cap growlers.

TURDFERGUSON
beers 4067 º places 154 º 22:20 Thu 9/4/2014

Originally posted by RABinCO
Another vote for Sam’s.

And though Sam noted they don’t fill growlers, they do have a few beers on draft and have pre-filled growlers from local breweries available (Sam can correct me if any of that’s changed in the last year).

That is correct. I forgot to mention that we have 12 taps available for in store (or outside at picnic tables) drinking while you shop or just chill.

TURDFERGUSON
beers 4067 º places 154 º 22:21 Thu 9/4/2014

Originally posted by Ernest
Originally posted by TURDFERGUSON
I work at Sam’s Quik Shop
Cheers, Sam

Coincidence or providence?

CelticBrew
beers 914 º places 20 º 11:53 Fri 9/12/2014

Sams, is the bomb.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 12:07 Fri 9/12/2014

Keir, Laura is flying to Raleigh Sunday night, the 14th. She has some work conference there all week. You guys will probably be back by then, right?