Ratebeer sells out to ABInBev, thoughts?

Reads 3779 • Replies 28 • Started Friday, June 2, 2017 6:38:01 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 22:48 Sat 6/10/2017

Just had a look at the places section on Beer Advocate and the top places are laughable!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/list/?&c_id=JP&bar=Y&sort=name&sort=rating

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 03:28 Sun 6/11/2017

That’s too bad Neil that you are leaving RB. I understand your thoughts though. Not the best beers as your final, but shoganai. Maybe in the future you’ll change your mind and come back to rate more.
Where do you think you will rate?

Tim

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 05:46 Sun 6/11/2017

Dunno yet. Maybe it’s time to knock it all on the head anyway. At the moment, I’m considering my position!

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 09:51 Sun 6/11/2017

I was very surprised that Joe went this way knowing the backlash Golden Road and 10 Barrel have been getting in California. I am still not sure which way to go, however, untappd has become a spam machine so I am hopping for a decent application that can compete with them (ad free of course)

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8497 º places 567 º 10:37 Mon 6/12/2017

Nothing as useful in Japan as RB so I will continue to use it I guess... not sure how much growing the DB I will do. I will probably do so for places as I plan to continue to use this to plan trips and what not and see no problem helping fellow raters in Japan find good beer.

If those places start to get mobbed by AB reps then I might stop adding new places to the site...

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 21:04 Mon 6/12/2017

Originally posted by KansaiBeerLvrs
Nothing as useful in Japan as RB so I will continue to use it I guess... not sure how much growing the DB I will do. I will probably do so for places as I plan to continue to use this to plan trips and what not and see no problem helping fellow raters in Japan find good beer.

If those places start to get mobbed by AB reps then I might stop adding new places to the site...

Given the size of ABI in Japan, I would say there is a better chance Michelle Ohama will choose Donald Trump as her running mate in 2020, than your places being over run by reps. I can’t count on my fingers the number of total employees, but I could cheat and use my toes and then I could.

Yeah I still don’t fully understand why joe chose XZ. As far as I can see Joe just needs cash to bring out killer app and take over Untapped. Any VC or PE firm would be happy to invest if they felt this was going to become the premier destination for logging beer ratings. I could see the next Step after that selling to ABI (and Joe fully exiting), but at this juncture, I think it’s premature.

What I think is ABI will wait until Untapped and other rating sites get killed by RateBeer and then offer joe a WHACK of cash for his remaining shares.

I would also expect BeerAdvocate to be approached by another VC, but believe they are too pig headed to allow others to influence their decisions so they won’t sell. Heck they may have already been approached.

Tim

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 22:16 Mon 6/12/2017

Neil, I hope you stay around at least in the forums. I completely understand the rating side. I’m kind of torn, but I am still rating at this point. Getting ready to move though and there are no Nashville ratebeerians unfortunately. I may slowly fade out, but we’ll see. I’m not sure how things will go. It’s a lot less fun rating without other people though, I will say that much.

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8497 º places 567 º 23:52 Mon 6/12/2017

willisread so where are you moving to? In terms of ratings...

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 20:18 Wed 6/14/2017

Originally posted by KansaiBeerLvrs
willisread so where are you moving to? In terms of ratings...

Well Phil, I haven’t quite decided. I’ve been on untappd for about 2 1/2 years as well, so most of my beers are already logged over there. In terms of time spent, I think it’s a lot better. Of course I feel that beer ratings on here are better overall (when there is a good number of ratings). But untappd is pretty cool for what it is. As long as you don’t take it too seriously.

If I remember correctly you joined ratebeer to learn about beer and improve your palate (same reasons I joined as well, actually). I feel that now I have learned a lot through ratebeer and copious amounts of tasting different styles, I woiuldn’t be heartbroken if I decided to leave ratebeer. I still think rating is important to the integrity of ratebeer though, so I will continue to use ratebeer until I see something shady or weird going on. I don’t know, in the past I have been pretty critical w/r/t to buyouts, but realistically it’s just my personal choice. I still drink Ballast Point from time to time or Oskar Blues and when we really get down to the nitty gritty most Japanese breweries have been "bought out" in a sense. As a ticker, I feel it is more important to keep ticking I guess, because I don’t really support craft beer more than big beer...I tick. I rarely drink the same beer twice and when I do it is definitely something local. I Japan the beers I repeatedly drank were usually Yorocco and whatever was on tap at Gremlin.

For now I will keep using both as I have been...untappd and ratebeer. I think if people think untappd has not been compromised they are kidding themselves though. Just because it hasn’t been disclosed doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. OK soapbox over.

How about you Phil? Have you looked into other places to rate at?

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8497 º places 567 º 05:51 Thu 6/15/2017

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/brewer-ratings-on-ratebeer-are-broken--and-they-ha.html

Never seen a site I liked or was as useful as RB for someone in Japan. Untappd is much better than it was (when I started using it, it was garbage that kept crashing so I stopped using it) but 140 characters isn’t much. I usually type up stuff in evernote then copy/paste to RB afterwards. ^^ if this shit is accurate ^^ then Joet and RB are losing my respect quickly...

At this point one of the reasons, I stay active on here is to try and promote the Japanese beer scene. If I moved somewhere with a more active ratings scene I probably wouldn’t be very active in terms of rates/adding beers...