RateBeer’s Best 2014

Reads 6952 • Replies 79 • Started Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:51:22 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 10:23 Mon 1/26/2015

Originally posted by MaxxDaddy
Unfortunately, the statistics page for a given beer doesn’t have that information on it, at least to my knowledge. That would certainly be a cool addition, but I don’t know how much work that would require.

Well, somebody is already doing the calculations in order to award the beers, right?

It would be cool to see the scores for that given year attached to the beer, I agree.

jamesewelch
beers 259 º places 19 º 10:33 Mon 1/26/2015

Originally posted by AdamJackson

With HF expansion and Alchemist expanding, I’m pretty stoked for 2015. I’m home Public Keg-Sales of HF Edward start when the snow melts. I’ll have Edward on Tap and a 4-pack of heady in my fridge at all times to cover pretty much all of my IPA needs. It’s been hard to reliably grab good IPAs in VT in 2014. Limbo was sporadic, 14th star and Fiddlehead are good but they’re both 2 hours north of me. HF is 75 minutes drive and Montpelier is 60 minutes so that’s not bad for every 4 weeks to grab fresh IPAs.

HF just got a license for on-premise consumption (aka pints). https://twitter.com/HillFarmstead/status/558101702818418688

So that’s another thing to look forward to in the coming year.

HeffIAm
16:49 Wed 1/28/2015

I’m curious why Best New beers list includes the Surly and Three Floyds versions of Blakkr as their own beers. If the logic is that each released their own, I get that. But where is Real Ale Blakkr on the list? Is this simply a case of the two more well-known breweries getting included while the third, lesser hyped brewery gets left off?

List: http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/bestnewbeers2015.asp

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 17:18 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by HeffIAm
I’m curious why Best New beers list includes the Surly and Three Floyds versions of Blakkr as their own beers. If the logic is that each released their own, I get that. But where is Real Ale Blakkr on the list? Is this simply a case of the two more well-known breweries getting included while the third, lesser hyped brewery gets left off?

List: http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/bestnewbeers2015.asp

They are separate beers, all of them. It so happened the Surly and Three Floyds versions scored highly on their own, 3.84+. The Real Ale version scored 3.68, would not be in the running for Best New Beer.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 17:21 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by MaxxDaddy
Unfortunately, the statistics page for a given beer doesn’t have that information on it, at least to my knowledge. That would certainly be a cool addition, but I don’t know how much work that would require.

Each beer has a stats page but it shows the averaged out score over time instead of score by year. So currently I agree you cannot see this stat.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 17:23 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by Prufrockstar
To follow up a bit, I counted 29 out of 51 US regions that don’t have a "best new brewery" winner. For Washington state, I count 51 breweries that opened in 2014 according to the RB database. I would argue that this is a failure of whatever algorithm is used to generate this "best of" list. Can anybody provide more details on how it’s calculated?

bump.

I think only JoeT has the answer to this.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 17:32 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
To follow up a bit, I counted 29 out of 51 US regions that don’t have a "best new brewery" winner. For Washington state, I count 51 breweries that opened in 2014 according to the RB database. I would argue that this is a failure of whatever algorithm is used to generate this "best of" list. Can anybody provide more details on how it’s calculated?

bump.

I think only JoeT has the answer to this.

Even if 51 breweries opened in Washington State last year, which sounds extremely high and exaggerated, one of them would have to get a certain number of reviews to be on this list. Nobody rates, then nobody gets mentioned for their beer, simple.

Spain being #1 on new breweries in the world may not be agreeable here as the best new brewery on earth. But people got out and rated the beer. So if there is a brewery that deserves recognition, it needs the reviewers to make it known.

One critical flaw in this system is that we do not constantly re-rate beers as new reviews. So if I gave NG Raspberry Tart I high score three years ago and had it last year, but did not delete my old rating and put in a new one, then my excellent sampling of that beer is lost. Serendipity is newer, so it is boosted by having more new rates perhaps in 2014 vs Raspberry Tart and Belgian Red. So really good "old recipe" beers that have been around with us will only make this list if we get enough new reviews. If no one re-rates, then that means we also need more new reviewers who are Raspberry Tart virgins.

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 18:33 Wed 1/28/2015

@GT2: Any information on how many reviews are required?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 20:15 Wed 1/28/2015

@GT2: Any information on how many reviews are required?

There is no absolute minimum but more reviews certainly help.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 21:34 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by GT2
Even if 51 breweries opened in Washington State last year, which sounds extremely high and exaggerated

I can understand why you are incredulous but Washington indeed is blowing up with breweries
Here is the report from a year ago
http://www.washingtonbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/wa-beer_2013-annual-report_PROOF-v4.pdf
It was another fantastic year of growth for Washington Beer. The count of state craft breweries climbed from 162 to 204, a 26% increase

Washington had 44 new breweries in 2013.

at the moment, our db says there are 278
http://www.ratebeer.com/breweries/washington/47/213/
some of those are cideries or mead makers.