RBSG 2011 - Where’s it going to be?

Reads 21512 • Replies 141 • Started Saturday, October 16, 2010 4:42:44 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Oakes
admin
beers 30815 º places 1135 º 15:58 Wed 12/8/2010

Okay, so we might have a Cleveland - Philly showdown?

Are the parties involved capable of putting something together by the end of this weekend?

We would need to put it to a vote before everybody goes on vacation.

Disclaimer: Just so new kids/conspiracy theorists know how this works - I don’t vote on these things and as somebody not planning to even be on the continent at that time I have absolutely no stake at all in where this lands.

kramer
19:16 Wed 12/8/2010

I can have something put together for sure by the end of the weekend. So should we say there will be an official thread on Monday with the two options?

Philly will be awesome, Know That!

kramer
16:06 Sun 12/12/2010

Philly porposal is ready to go, I just need to know where to send it. You all ready Cleveland?

crizay
beers 1050 º places 128 º 17:55 Sun 12/12/2010

Originally posted by kramer
Philly porposal is ready to go, I just need to know where to send it. You all ready Cleveland?

Sent to Oakes. Hopefully I covered everything.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 07:18 Wed 12/15/2010

Are these proposals going to get posted? kramer and crizay, have you guys heard any thing from anybody??

kramer
11:04 Wed 12/15/2010

Originally posted by Cliff
Are these proposals going to get posted? kramer and crizay, have you guys heard any thing from anybody??

I BM’d Oakes to find out where to send the proposal, haven’t heard anything yet. All in due time I suppose.

Oakes
admin
beers 30815 º places 1135 º 09:05 Fri 12/24/2010

My connectivity has been atrocious lately.

I am going to get these proposals and post them as soon as I can.

Oakes
admin
beers 30815 º places 1135 º 16:03 Thu 1/6/2011

OK - Cleveland:

RateBeer UserPic

Time:
crizay
Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:51:56 PM

RBSG - Cleveland

Thursday:

Welcome Beer Dinner at The Brew Kettle Production Works at 6pm. This will be an all Ohio beer night with one-off beers from various brewers around the state in our production brewery with a menu geared towards the beer.

Friday:

Bus trip to the following:

The Brew Kettle

Great Lakes

Fathead’s

Beer Engine

Indigo Imp

Rocky River

Cornerstone

Market Street Brewery (if opened by then)

Willoughby

This is not in any order but will need a small fee and most likely start at TBK at noon and go all day till at least 9. We will have one hour minimum at each brewery. More details to follow.

Saturday:

Grand Tasting in my backyard at 4 to give time for area attractions like Melt, Rozi’s, Rock Hall and others earlier in the day. Pig Roast at 4 with many other sides, hopefully cornhole for beers and things like that. Port-a-potties will happen and also tents and such for shade. If bad weather will happen we will have an alternative site for this nearby.

Sunday:

Breakfast at The Beer Engine, 10am.

Hotels are 1/2 mile from the house and we will get a group rate at one of them. Cleveland Hopkins Airport is 1 mile from my house. I hope I covered everything.

Oakes
admin
beers 30815 º places 1135 º 16:09 Thu 1/6/2011

RBSG 2011 Philadelphia
June 2nd-5th, 2011

As the nation’s first beer geek, Benjamin Franklin, so eloquently put it...”Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Where better to be happy and enjoy RBSG 2011 than the great City of Philadelphia where the Godfather of Beer Geekdom called home! Come visit one of America’s most vibrant beer cultures. Philly has a large number of well established RateBeer members that will be assisting in making this the best RBSG ever.

Thursday night: Meet and greet at a bar for any early arrivals, somewhere classic like Monk’s Cafe, Eulogy, etc. The location will be determined by the number of people who consider it likely that they will attend, if we get enough commitments we can try to get a reserved space.

Friday daytime: Bus trip ’round the Burbs. Pick-up at the main RBSG hotel in Center City around 10am. Head to either Victory or Sly Fox for lunch, with the choice going to whichever might be able to accommodate us with an early entry tour or some kind of meet and greet with the brewer type thing. Next stop would be the other option above, then onto 2 to 3 more stops (options include McKenzie, Iron Hill (Media or Phoenixville), Capones (great drafts and best bottle shop in the Philly metro), Earth Bread & Brewery) which would be decided based their willingness to host a busload of thirsty travelers. Cost should be similar to previous RBSG bus trips (~$20). Attempts will be made by those with established relationships with each stop to have that location put some thought into creating a special beer or putting back some tasty kegs to put on for our visits.

Friday evening: Bus drops off at the Liberty Bell complex for Philly Beer Week Opening Tap Festival. Last years’s info: http://www.phillybeerweek.org/opening_tap.cfm
People could choose to attend the fest or hit the local bars on their own. As an aside, I hope to be tapping the official beer of Philly Beer Week at the beginning of the fest (a collab beer between Sly Fox and De Proef that I will be going to Belgium to help brew). I heard only good things about the fest last year and will give you a chance to try almost every brewery in the area, all in one place. Plenty of spots to hit if a festival doesn’t do it for ya.

Saturday Daytime: Bar/Brewpub crawl around Center City. There are literally tons of options here that are easily walkable or within a short cab ride. Maps will be provided along with any info we can glean about what might be on tap at the time or special events. A short list of highlights: Tria, Devils Den, Monk’s Cafe, Nodding Head Brewery, Varga, Brauhaus Schmitz, Eulogy, Triumph Brewing Co., Hawthornes Cafe, and Yard’s Brewing Co. I could go on forever, there’s a ton of places I could have included. More than enough to occupy any beer geek for an afternoon.

Oakes
admin
beers 30815 º places 1135 º 16:09 Thu 1/6/2011

Saturday night: Grand Tasting, 6-10 pm either at the main hotel or a location within Center City where we could get a private room. If you still haven’t got your fill of beer, there will be plenty of special events at bars around the city after the GT with it being the first full day of Philly Beer Week.

Sunday day: 2 options: Find a beer friendly brunch place (I think Hawthornes Cafe runs a nice Sunday Brunch) or just wait out the morning and hit a lunchtime PBW event. We won’t plan anything specific until we get a sense of how many might be interested. Last year there was a Smoked Beer Fest at Yards this Sunday which if it happens again this year I will definitely be at (40+ Smoked bees in one place = heaven to me).

Some general Philly considerations:

Travel: Airport to Center City can easily be done via regional rail for a minimum cost (prob less than $10), so those who will be flying will have absolutely no need to rent a car. Travel around the city would be largely on foot, but there is a somewhat useful subway system and plenty of cabs if you want to be lazy and for late night travel.

Hotel: Location for main hotel will be Center City within walking distance of many of the hotspots. A very quick look has a Marriott @ 200/night, which does sound high, but would certainly be reasonable if split between 2 or more people. This is without trying to negotiate a group discount, which should help bring down the price a bit. As usual, you’re free stay wherever you’d like, the regional rail system is pretty excellent and could facilitate travel out to the suburbs where there might be cheaper rooms. Again, this was a very quick scan, do not let the cost of the room scare you, a better deal is certainly possible. There is a cost vs. convenience calculation that must be done when considering the option of Center City vs. elsewhere. The presence of a cheap hotel location should not be a deciding factor for your vote.

Area attractions: If you’re planning on bringing the family with, there’s way more than enough to keep the wife and little ones busy for a weekend. Great shopping within walking distance, tons of historical things within a short walk, sporting events, the Italian Market, South Street, Franklin Institute for the kids, a world class art museum, not to mention all the great food. It’s the kind of stuff that very few other cities can offer.

There will be many many beer events occurring this weekend and through the following week if anyone wishes to extend their stay past the weekend that will be part of Philly Beer Week that haven’t been announced yet, so it’s kind of hard to explain the vastness of the beer scene that will be at the top of it’s game this weekend. Just know that it will not disappoint. This is the oldest, largest, and best Beer Week in the country.

I think this will be an amazing opportunity to come out and experience the best that Philly has to offer, between the bus trip to the burbs and plenty of time to explore the city during Philly Beer Week you will get the full picture of what Philly has to offer. Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of our proposal!