Recommendations wanted for good, local beers

Reads 1458 • Replies 15 • Started Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:08:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Leighton
beers 33717 º places 1204 º 12:08 Tue 4/29/2014

Hi team.

So a friend of mine from the Chicago area will be visiting me and he offered to snag a few beers to bring along. I was hoping some of the locals could recommend a few good beers that one can’t find outside of greater Chicago. I’d be most interested in styles such as black IPA, IPA, saison and big, stupid imperial stout. I think bottled beer would be best, as opposed to growlers (unless you can convince me there’s a must-have beer that only comes in growlers).

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Leighton

HighWine
beers 958 º places 29 º 12:16 Tue 4/29/2014

Beers from Pipeworks, Revolution, and Three Floyds would be a good place to start. I’d recommend your friend go to a bottle shop that has a good selection of locals and ask them what they recommend. Binny’s and Fischman’s are two places I go that would have sufficient variety and inventory. Others will likely have great recommendations, too.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 13:58 Tue 4/29/2014

Originally posted by HighWine
Beers from Pipeworks, Revolution, and Three Floyds

those would definitely be the go to hop-centric breweries. One can also throw Half Acre into the fold.

My biggest concern is freshness on bottles. These breweries are all over town, so probably many bottles losing luster.

As far as impy stouts this would be some one could locate in a major store in Chicago:
Hinterland Lunatic Imperial Stout
Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout
Une Année Airing of Grievances
Cisco Island Reserve Russian Imperial Stout
Brewery Vivant PlowHorse
Lakefront 25th Anniversary Series #01 - Imperial Stout

There are probably way more that don’t come to mind.

csteele2144
beers 125 º places 11 º 14:01 Tue 4/29/2014

A couple of shop websites that are worth browsing
http://www.wlvliquors.com/
http://store2.craftbeertemple.com/

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 16:35 Tue 4/29/2014

Originally posted by Leighton
... one can’t find outside of greater Chicago. I’d be most interested in styles such as black IPA, IPA, saison and big, stupid imperial stout. I think bottled beer would be best

Cheers.

Leighton

These are recent releases and should be found at the major liquors store in and around Chicago (Binny’s for one)

Pipeworks Wolpertinger Belgo German Hybrid IPA
Pipeworks Ninja vs Unicorn (check batch #, should be 338-340 for freshness)
Pipeworks Mint Truffle Abduction (Imp Stout)
Pipeworks The Mighty Thor (Imp Porter)
Pipeworks The Jones Dog (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
Pipeworks Catch of a Lifetime (Saison)
Spiteful God Damn Pirate Pigeon Peanut Butter Porter
Spiteful Breakroom Working Hard or Hardly Working (Black IPA)
Spiteful Minnie The Moocher Double IPA
Revolution Galaxy Hero (IPA)
Revolution Jukebox Hero (Black IPA)
Revolution Anti-Hero IPA (in cans)
Half Acre Vallejo IPA
Half Acre Daisy Cutter (in cans)
Off Color Apex Predator (Saison)
Off Color Troublesome (Gose)
Only Child MaMa Knows Best (Rye Saison)
Ale Syndicate Omega Midnight Stout
4 Hands Pyrus French Saison (ok this one isn’t Chicago but very tasty)

Cheers

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 18:16 Tue 4/29/2014

Do not sleep on Spiteful. They are releasing some great beers. Check out their IPA and Alley Time Pale Ale, in cans!

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 20:37 Tue 4/29/2014

The first batches of Spiteful canned beers are some of the worst beers I have consumed in Chicago. I was thinking something went wrong with the caning and that it wasn’t the brewing.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 20:54 Tue 4/29/2014

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
The first batches of Spiteful canned beers are some of the worst beers I have consumed in Chicago. I was thinking something went wrong with the caning and that it wasn’t the brewing.

It was. I seem to have fortunately missed them working out the kinks. IPA, Diggable IPA, and Alley Time have been some of the best beers I’ve had this year.

DROOO
06:19 Wed 4/30/2014

speaking on behalf of spiteful, we have a new imperial IPA (lunch beer luke) coming out next week in bombers. should hit most stores on wednesday or thursday.

beastie fan: try the cans again; i drink them often. they are not the worst beers.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 11:37 Wed 4/30/2014

any way for me to figure out which cans are a newer batch? I don’t believe they are dated.

I want to retry but am highly averse to buying the same cans. I basically shop at Binny’s Clyborn.

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 12:27 Wed 4/30/2014

they just released new cans today, ask vav. OR try beer temple where he dates it.