Renewed Android app: testers wanted!

Reads 8567 • Replies 131 • Started Friday, February 19, 2016 7:46:03 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 11:05 Mon 2/22/2016

Originally posted by jsquire
Stupid question:

I access Ratebeer on my android phone through the browser. I think I get the entire site.

What is the advantage of a Ratebeer app for android if I already get the whole thing on my phone?

For me its best/MAIN use is i can preload those i want to rate. If I’m heading to pub/festival i look up advertised list. Select beer to rate off line but dont upload. Thus when i arrive at pyb/fest ive a list of those i want and upload as i go. Meaning i only see those i still want/need in one handy list

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 11:09 Mon 2/22/2016

Originally posted by erickok
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try to refactor the sync process a bit so that it can run in the background, as that seems to be needed/wanted.

I’ll also get back to concrete comments/requests, as for some I have to find out whether it is possible at all with the current RB API.

Maybe im odd usage but id love to sort offline rarungs by date added and alphabetical

As i use offline addition of beers for festival planning

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 11:50 Mon 2/22/2016

My first attempt to install failed with no error message except "install failed". By the look of it, it was because I still had v1 installed, because uninstalling that allowed v2 to install OK.

First impressions are promising, though we’ll have to see how data-heavy it is once it’s a bit more functional - some of us still pay per MB for mobile data! (-:

I’ll be replacing v1 from backup for now though, as I want offline rating. But I’ll be back to look for v2.1 - many thanks for your work on this.

andrepintado
beers 3998 º places 125 º 18:05 Mon 2/22/2016

Had the same problem when installing, had to uninstall the old version.

Running on OnePlus X with Android 5.1.1, pretty neat!

Suggestions:

- I’m currently seeing a beer and its ratings, I would love to click on a rater and go to their profile page;

- Would love to see the average rating for a beer when viewing the beer. This is something I miss even in the current version;

- When viewing the beer, would love to see the date when people rated;

- I searched for a beer, got results, clicked on it, then clicked back button, and it sent me to the home screen, instead of search results.

- Top50’s per country, per style and general;

- Rating beers would be cool :-D

- Design is super cool.

Thank you for your hard work!

Cheers,
André

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 21:13 Mon 2/22/2016

Great news Eric! I’ll give it a spin when I get home.

JMerritt
places 72 º 17:52 Sat 2/27/2016

Finally got it installed. Very promising!

Suggestions:

- drop the alternating red/yellow/black/orange/green/blue colors when displaying scores. To me, it makes more sense if the colors correspond with the scores given, higher scores green, lower scores red (and ranges of yellow to orange between).

- open the beer image when tapping on the large header image on the beer "page". I like the effect of having the image zoomed in initially, but sometimes you just want to view the entire picture to see the entire label.

Looking forward to seeing this progress!

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 05:19 Tue 3/8/2016

Thanks for the initial tests, guys! I just released a new beta (2.0.0-beta3) which adopts many of your comments already:

- Improved (background) ratings sync
- Rate new beers and update your ratings
- Data saver mode (prevents photo loaded on mobile data)
- Fixed login and session management
- Many UI improvements and tweaks

https://github.com/erickok/ratebeer/releases/tag/v2.0.0-beta3

There are two version to download, one (2.0.0-beta3) that overrides the old RB app or the 2.0.0-beta1 if you had it, and one (2.0.0-beta3-alt) that can install BESIDES the existing app as standalone test beta app. Hope that gives some of you more confidence in testing, although your account (offline ratings) won’t be upgraded.

I plan to release this as the official update very soon before adding more features. Please let me know of any issues!

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 05:20 Tue 3/8/2016

As for some specific remarks:

Originally posted by davidtjm
displaying the weighted average for a beer

I added this as a ’hidden’ feature. Tap the overall percentile. I have to think of a nice graphical way to display these.

allowing you to filter search results according to factors such as number of ratings and average rating.

Not sure if I will/can add these. You mean only for your (offline stored) own ratings, right? For online searches RB doesn’t allow this in their API.

Originally posted by fiulijn
- when does it re-synchronize my ratings? only if I click on the "refresh" icon? if so, I’d like to see the date when I synchronized last time;

Only when you tap the sync/refresh button. I might/probably will add an automatic sync (on wifi) as well.

- now that the sync is done, the last beers I rated are on top of the list, but within the same date the order is random, you probably need date and time for a proper sort;

They are sorted by date added (descending), including the time. RB itself has some bug here BTW if you look in your profile.

- if I’m offline and I search my ratings, [...] so all I see is 3 beers at a time (or scroll)

Some improvements are made here (you can close the keyboard)

- it would be convenient if there was a way to synchronize only the ratings since the last sync, not all ratings again; at least this should be an option to choose;

Then you miss updates. But I understand your point. It won’t be an option, but it can be made smarter (e.g. showing new ratings before syncing odler ones that MIGHT have been updated).

- when I’m online and looking at a specific beer, it would be good if I can see which of my friends rated it;

Not sure if possible with the RB API.

- on the friends tab, [...], only the last one is visible, while RB reports that "fiulijn rated Pilsner Urquell and 5 more";

Sounds like a bug. Not sure if this is in the app or API. I’ll take a look.

- the friends feed on RB has links; [...] it would be nice if in the future there would be similar links;
beers;

Yes, that would be nice. :) I will probably add user profiles and possibly places as well, so we can link to those.

- on the local tab, based on the website experience, I expect to get local raters (British Columbia) or local beers; apparently I also get raters from Alberta rating random beers;

I show directly what RB reports. But how RB manages locality is very buggy I think.

Maybe im odd usage but id love to sort offline rarungs by date added and alphabetical

Not odd at all. I have to think of the best way to add this to the UI (clear, without clutter, reliable). I will probably add some type of filter on the (main) ratings screen.

Originally posted by andrepintado
- [...] I would love to click on a rater and go to their profile page;

Me too. I will add user profiles in the future.

Originally posted by andrepintado
- When viewing the beer, would love to see the date when people rated;

Yes, I have to add this.

Originally posted by JMerritt
- drop the alternating red/yellow/black/orange/green/blue colors when displaying scores.

Not sure. I understand your idea, but the colors are the app’s brand and representing the scores might result in a lot of the same color (all those ±3.3s...). And what color is ’higher’, red or blue?

davidtjm
beers 1074 º places 47 º 15:56 Wed 3/9/2016

Originally posted by erickok
As for some specific remarks:

displaying the weighted average for a beer

I added this as a ’hidden’ feature. Tap the overall percentile. I have to think of a nice graphical way to display these.

allowing you to filter search results according to factors such as number of ratings and average rating.

Not sure if I will/can add these. You mean only for your (offline stored) own ratings, right? For online searches RB doesn’t allow this in their API.

Thanks, I was refering to online search results, Beer Buddy lets you do this. When you have your search results the app lets you filter them by name, avg. rating, rate count, ABV and style.

I’ve installed the new version and I really like it. The search feature is great, very slick and speedy. I now have three apps for RateBeer (RateBeer Old & New and BeerBuddy) and they all have different features which complement each other, but I reckon that the new app will make BeerBuddy obsolete (especially if you add an add beer feature). And by the way, I noticed on the old app that if I added a beer to RB via BeerBuddy and then attempted to rate it via RateBeer (eg. an offline rating), I always got an error message when doing the search. Not sure if that has something to do with you, though

SudsMcDuff
beers 8597 º places 190 º 17:59 Wed 3/9/2016

it’d be nice if someone cared about the iphone app..