Road Trip! (WA-ID-MT-ND-MN-IA)

Reads 2868 • Replies 27 • Started Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:28:22 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 23:28 Sun 8/10/2014

We’re taking a road trip from Seattle to Eastern Iowa. Tentative schedule looks like this:

8/14: Seattle - N. Idaho
8/15-8/16: Camping in Glacier National Park
8/17: Finish Glacier, spend the night in Great Falls, MT.
8/18: Drive a bunch, sleep somewhere in N. Dakota, collect state tick.
8/19: Continue on to the Twin Cities.
8/20-8/30: Iowa, centered in Cedar Rapids.

Anybody have suggestions for places fto stop along the way? We’ll need food and beer, and I’m sure we’ll need to restock our cooler a few times along the way. Non-beer related, we like seeing and doing stuff. Quirky, outdoorsy, kid-friendly are all pluses.

Eastern Iowa RBians: I’ll be around for over a week. If I don’t drink with any of you in that time, you’re all a bunch of jerks.

If anybody else wants to meet up along the way, let me know. Cheers!

bytemesis
beers 15348 º places 1601 º 04:51 Mon 8/11/2014

Wow, I did almost the exact reverse of this trip in 2009: La Crosse WI to Seattle via ND and Glacier. Have fun!

I though Theodore Roosevelt N.P. in North Dakota was well worth the stop. Not much to say beer wise as that was pre-obsession :P

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 05:53 Mon 8/11/2014

NoDak doesn’t have a ton of beer places but Fargo Brewing distributes in cans and is solid.

Send me a message if you want more beer related stuff for Minnesota, or post in the MN forum.

Check out the sculpture gardens in Minneapolis. Lots of space, kids enjoy it usually and its free.
This is also pretty cool, if your kids are old enough to enjoy something like this: http://www.walkerart.org/calendar/2014/walker-green-artist-designed-mini-golf

dresden
beers 1581 º places 119 º 07:58 Mon 8/11/2014

Assuming you’re going through ND on the I94, I would consider stopping in to Laughing Sun in Bismarck. It’s a decent little tap room, and if the timing doesnt work you can still stop in Fargo.

blutt59
beers 6999 º places 210 º 08:03 Mon 8/11/2014

Don’t miss Lion Bridge in CR. Very nice job these guys are doing.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 08:25 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by Prufrockstar

Eastern Iowa RBians: I’ll be around for over a week. If I don’t drink with any of you in that time, you’re all a bunch of jerks.

Honestly our tasting group went way down hill in 2010-2011. I don’t even know any active RB people in my area. Bummer.

heykevin
beers 1281 º 10:20 Mon 8/11/2014

It’s because I moved to Decorah, isn’t it?

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 11:09 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by bytemesis
Wow, I did almost the exact reverse of this trip in 2009: La Crosse WI to Seattle via ND and Glacier. Have fun!

I though Theodore Roosevelt N.P. in North Dakota was well worth the stop. Not much to say beer wise as that was pre-obsession :P

Awesome! Sounds like Theodore Roosevelt N.P. is a winner, and we literally drive right through it on our route.

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 11:10 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by dresden
Assuming you’re going through ND on the I94, I would consider stopping in to Laughing Sun in Bismarck. It’s a decent little tap room, and if the timing doesnt work you can still stop in Fargo.

I’ve marked it on the map. Any idea if the place allows kids?

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 11:13 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by blutt59
Don’t miss Lion Bridge in CR. Very nice job these guys are doing.

In the same sense that CIB should not be missed? Actually, no need to respond to that question -- I’ll be checking them out regardless of the answer :). Thanks!

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 11:20 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by pepsican
Originally posted by Prufrockstar

Honestly our tasting group went way down hill in 2010-2011. I don’t even know any active RB people in my area. Bummer.

Well, I know of one sort of active RB person who will be in your area for over a week. Would gladly meet up for beers at a pub sometime. When I lived in Iowa City (before I drank beer) I spent most of my bar time at the Deadwood drinking ginger ales and dumping quarters into Medieval Madness, so I’m looking forward to checking out places to go for good beer.