Rug brød

Reads 470 • Replies 6 • Started Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:03:21 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 05:03 Tue 1/21/2014

Does anybody has a recipe personally tried and that he can recommend? (I’m not looking for Google suggestions)

I hope the name is correct.
I like the ones that are very dark (almost black), with a lot of kernels, and when you cut the slice is not perfect like it happens in "supermarket" sliced bread.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 06:23 Tue 1/21/2014

First, you need a good, healthy spur dough - this is the key to a good bread. Make one easily by just mixing equal parts of rye flour and wheat flour with water until you get a consistency like jam. Leave it in an open jar for some days until it begins to smell sour.

When I make my bread, i make the base dough out of 850 ml lukewarm water, about 650 grams of rye flour, 2 table spoons of salt and the sourdough (usual amout I pick out from a batch is about 2 dl). Mux water with salt first, then add flour, and sour dough at last.
Let the dough sit at living room temp for about 8 hours, to let it sour.

After 8 hours, all the dough ought to be sour, and you take away oart o the sour dough to use for the next batch. 2 decilitres is usually enough for me. As with beer brewing, you need to know your dough and which pitching rate works for you.
After taking away some dough, mix in kernels and whatnot. I usually add flaked rye kernels, sunflower seeds and hørfrø (don’t know the english word for that) as a base. Then I also often use almonds, which give a really nice sweetness, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts or walnuts. You can basically add any nut or seed or kernel you’d like. When you’ve mixed everything in, i put the dough in an oiled drizzled bread form, let it sit for another 6-8 hrs (i usually let it rest overnight) and bake in preheated oven at 180 dgr for about 2 hours.

This makes one hell of a rye bread! It takes some getting to know the dough and make your own small adjustments in the base recipe, and findin out what you like, but once you’ve nailed it, you’ll be a happy guy.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 06:26 Tue 1/21/2014

If you want it really black, substitute half of the water with a stout or porter. Don’t bother usig expensive beers, just beer that isn’t too hoppy, and you’ll be good.

I plan on soon trying to make a sour dough out of dregs from a geuze, that might be interesting.

Stronzo
08:18 Tue 1/21/2014

Alternatively add roasted malt finely ground in a coffee grinder for color.

MPA
beers 1429 º places 6 º 10:38 Sat 1/25/2014

Hørfrø: that would be brown flax seeds. Just be careful you don’t use too many, as they are toxic in larger doses.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 10:22 Thu 1/30/2014

actually i meant sesame seeds, not hørfrø or brown flax seeds. although they might also work.

MPA
beers 1429 º places 6 º 09:40 Fri 2/7/2014

Originally posted by phredrik
actually i meant sesame seeds, not hørfrø or brown flax seeds. although they might also work.

Pffftt.... Retard from Aalborg.