Simple brew complex ?

Reads 620 • Replies 9 • Started Monday, September 29, 2014 9:14:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

stumpyiliz
beers 218 º places 7 º 21:14 Mon 9/29/2014

Here’s my recipe;

12 lbs two row

.5 biscuit

.5 cara hell

2 lbs turbinado

2 oz Saaz at 60

Sugar at 30

1 tsp yeast nutes and Irish moss at 15

Wort chiller at 15

1oz Saaz at 15

Estimated OG before fruit addition 1.084.

The rest of the details involve 15 lbs of pitted fresh frozen plums, and wyeast 3711 and WL Brett Trois for pitching.

The ?’s I have are simple. I plan on starting with 3711 for primary on the grain bill. Making a week long starter for the Brett 3 to pitch onto secondary and fruit.

?-1

Bother with the starter

Or

?-2

Pitch both yeasts at the same time and let them battle it out.

wnoble
beers 1251 º 21:41 Mon 9/29/2014

In my experience, the Brett won’t do much in your situation. That Brett behaves more like an ale yeast than a real Brett strain. The 3711 rips so hard that there won’t be much left for the Brett 3. That’s a big beer dude.... I wouldn’t do it but to each their own.

HornyDevil
03:37 Tue 9/30/2014

Before getting into idiosyncrasies, what are you looking for from this beer?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:36 Tue 9/30/2014

I don’t care for Brett in primary. It really needs to be a secondary fermenter to get funky, in my experience. I’m confused as to why you want to add 2lbs of sugar to this.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:37 Tue 9/30/2014

Also, no starter for the brett.

stumpyiliz
beers 218 º places 7 º 18:22 Tue 9/30/2014

Noble squirrel-It’s basically a belgian golden recipe I have made many times and instead of using candi sugar I just use turbinado.

HornyDevil-Its my first attempt at using Brett. I have obtained a few more carboys and want to age this one until the summer. Figuring the Brett will have enough sugar and nutes from the fruit to be happy for a while.

Wnoble - I like big beers. My thought is go big or go home.

I am steering towards primary on saison yeast and then secondary on Brett and plums. Racking to a five gallon carboy for lagering. Just trying to make a big farmhouse funky wild fruit ale.

HornyDevil
05:26 Wed 10/1/2014

Originally posted by stumpyiliz
HornyDevil-Its my first attempt at using Brett. I have obtained a few more carboys and want to age this one until the summer. Figuring the Brett will have enough sugar and nutes from the fruit to be happy for a while.

I am steering towards primary on saison yeast and then secondary on Brett and plums. Racking to a five gallon carboy for lagering. Just trying to make a big farmhouse funky wild fruit ale.

Most Brett strains finish fermenting in 8 weeks. No reason to age the beer longer than that.

Things like your recipe confuse me. If it’s your first time using Brett, why don’t you use Brett and Brett only to find out if its fermentation and flavor profile suit your needs instead of just throwing a bunch of ingredients at it?

I know you said you like big beers, but what’s the point if it’s just big for the sake of being big and confusing instead of focused?

Not that your beer won’t turn out just fine, but if you want it to be Brett-focused and very good to excellent, I would do the following things:

1) Nix the sugar and add some wheat or oats. Your head retention will thank you later.

2) Lower your gravity. 8% should be a max for this project.

3) Use hops that complement your choice of yeast. A small neutral bittering charge of a hop like Magnum or Horizon would be great and hit it with 4 - 6 oz. of a tropical fruity hop like Citra or Galaxy while you’re cooling.

4) Use either the saison yeast or the Brett, not both. If you are hell-bent on using them both, however, pitch them at the same time. Also, you’ll want to mash high for this beer as you’ll want some dextrins.

5) Leave the plums out of it. If you REALLY want to use fruit, use one that’s complementary to your yeast and hops, like mango or guava.

HornyDevil
05:35 Wed 10/1/2014

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
I don’t care for Brett in primary. It really needs to be a secondary fermenter to get funky, in my experience. I’m confused as to why you want to add 2lbs of sugar to this.

This statement confuses me. I can’t believe that anyone likes overly funky beers. Funk/Brett character as an undertone is great to add complexity, but that character as a primary flavor/aroma is awful. Just look to the terroir wines of France. A little Brett and you have "a sense of place". Too much and you have a mess. Same goes with beer. Unbalanced beers are ridiculous caricatures. They are one-trick ponies. This kind of talk leads to bigger, funkier, more sour beers that are all those things, but they’re not better they’re just MORE and more doesn’t show maturity. It shows the adolescent need to one-up people. I, for one, think that mentality has to stop in order for the American beer culture to grow up and find itself.

And, like you, I’m also confused as to why you’d want to add sugar to this recipe.

ganache
beers 6773 º places 282 º 13:58 Wed 10/1/2014

Originally posted by stumpyiliz
Wnoble - I like big beers. My thought is go big or go home.

traPISSED
beers 106 º 15:24 Wed 10/1/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

This statement confuses me. I can’t believe that anyone likes overly funky beers. Funk/Brett character as an undertone is great to add complexity, but that character as a primary flavor/aroma is awful. Just look to the terroir wines of France. A little Brett and you have "a sense of place". Too much and you have a mess. Same goes with beer. Unbalanced beers are ridiculous caricatures. They are one-trick ponies. This kind of talk leads to bigger, funkier, more sour beers that are all those things, but they’re not better they’re just MORE and more doesn’t show maturity. It shows the adolescent need to one-up people. I, for one, think that mentality has to stop in order for the American beer culture to grow up and find itself.

And, like you, I’m also confused as to why you’d want to add sugar to this recipe.

I agree. I dont like one dimensional beers. Its all about hitting balance with your complexity.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer