So what’s going on with Lawson’s?

Reads 1895 • Replies 12 • Started Thursday, June 4, 2015 10:36:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 10:36 Thu 6/4/2015

I’m sorely out on the VT beer news lately but here’s what I understand.

Sean stopped brewing end of last year due to family matters. End of summer last year, Sip of Sunshine in cans started being brewed in CT @ Two Roads. Distro in CT / VT. It’s available in a lot of places in VT but in limited quantities. I don’t like it that much compared to double sunshine but whatever.

Then suddenly it seemed like aside from the barrel aged stuff, farmers markets last year started getting slim picking. DS, maple triple, Fayston but not a lot of new hoppy beers.

Super Session 1 and 2 on draft around VT (also brewed @ 2 roads??)

Since the spring. not a lot happening. stores still getting sip of sunshine. there were some new beers at the 5th anniversary but tickets sold out fast so I missed out.

Lawson’s is doing a colab with tree house but it appears no farmers markets announced this year, not many new beers, lots of 2-roads brews.

---

Is sean ramping down on his brewing? Is everything eventually going to be contracted @ 2 roads?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:37 Thu 6/4/2015

Would you like me to call?

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 11:43 Thu 6/4/2015

I just assumed someone in the NE area knew more of the story. Sean at his peak (2012/2013) wasn’t brewing full time anyway. I heard he’s a ski-instructor and family man so any reduction just means his output is super shrinking and it’s almost a feeling that he’s winding down from brewing completely.

I didn’t want to call and bug him about it.

blklab2007
beers 2121 º places 17 º 12:07 Thu 6/4/2015

It is nice to be able to buy this stuff in Connecticut now! The super session #2 was on draft in Connecticut all over and that one was fantastic! Two roads as a whole is a solid brewer and they are putting out good stuff themselves. Sos is hit or miss as far as finding it here as it has become the new must have beer and it is sold as fast as it is received. I do not know why they decided to pair up together but it is a good business move because the Connecticut market does not have a lot of in state breweries. At least not ones putting out a good product and getting their name out in the public eye. I will put out my speculation and that is in state breweries in Connecticut get tax breaks and label approval breaks that out of state do not and we have suffered compared to our neighboring states when it comes to selection due to these stupid archaic laws and the costs to come inot our market. I would bet that the contract agreement let’s Lawsons into the Connecticut market and gives them the benifits of an in state buisness. Just speculation on my part but we have a huge demand here and no supply and I bet both parties will make lots of money. Hope some of this is helpful and maybe with luck you will be right and the rest of the Lawsons lineup will become available here as well. Hope all is well Adam!

boto
beers 2444 º places 104 º 12:07 Thu 6/4/2015

Someone told me Sip of Sunshine was at a local package store. i should go check it out today.

blklab2007
beers 2121 º places 17 º 12:10 Thu 6/4/2015

Originally posted by joet
Would you like me to call?

Joe get us the scoop

bottleforager
beers 3211 º places 63 º 12:11 Thu 6/4/2015

I heard rumors that the next collaboration with Otter Creek is coming out this summer called Double Down. 4pk BA Barleywine like Double Dose. Seems Sean is opting on brewing at larger facilities with bigger production. Maybe his brewhouse is no longer up to snuff ? IDK

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 12:14 Thu 6/4/2015

Good info. I was just thinking today I haven’t had a beer brewed by Sean since January of 2014. 1.5 years ago!

Super Session (draft / cans) brewed @ 2-roads. Sip also @ 2-roads. I miss Sean’s beer a lot. Otter Creek and NightShift collabs appear to be brewed @ those breweries not in his own.

"so what if it’s brewed somewhere else?" well, so what indeed but it just feels to me he’s falling out of things.

Maybe Joe should call. I’d love to hear what’s up. Lukaduke may have a point.

Just called Warren Store and Hunger Mountain. they only got Sip this week.

Reynolds314
beers 3472 º places 41 º 17:52 Thu 6/4/2015

Hes put out a few bottles since the anniversary party. Rhubarb saison, chinookered, peril i think, and today was shhhhhhhh. In general though it seems much harder to get now. Warren got shhhh today and it sold out in 2 hours according to facebook.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 18:40 Thu 6/4/2015

I called Warren at 2PM and they said "all we got was sip" I assumed that meant all they got total was sip, not "we got shhh and it sold out" First time I’ve tried to get Lawson’s in a very long time and I’m probably done.

I did get to try some rhubarb. it’s good to know sean is still brewing. Maybe he’s brewing the same as always and demand is just so high that it gets bought up quickly?

boto
beers 2444 º places 104 º 09:18 Fri 6/5/2015

Originally posted by boto
Someone told me Sip of Sunshine was at a local package store. i should go check it out today.
It was already gone. They got a total of 1 case of the beer. You would think that if it was being brewed at Two Roads they could make a bit more to satisfy demand. But then again they probably wouldn’t be able to get $20 for a 4 pack any more.