Spent grain and bread

Reads 2522 • Replies 23 • Started Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:55:10 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

allendodd
beers 118 º places 2 º 19:55 Sun 5/4/2014

I’m pretty sure that I remember seeing talk of using spent grain from brewing for bread baking, but it’s been a while. Any one here experimented?

I have a neighbor who is a great home brewer that I’m thinking that I might be able to snag some from.

Anyway, changing weather is rocking the ingredient proportions already, so why not throw in another variable?

If this is a recent repeat, sorry. Just send me to the original thread.

b3shine
beers 12184 º places 372 º 20:01 Sun 5/4/2014

allendodd
beers 118 º places 2 º 20:08 Sun 5/4/2014

Originally posted by b3shine
Haven’t tried it, but I found this:

http://www.michiganbeerblog.net/2011/11/spent-grain-bread.html

My neighbor, the brewer, is also a professional cook, but He hasn’t responded yet to my inquiry about whether he bakes.
From your link, freezing the grain is a great idea and would dramatically expand the amount of bread you could make and allow experimentation and fine-tuning.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 20:09 Sun 5/4/2014

Yep, we used to do it all the time. Bread, cookies, animal treats, pizza dough - basically, you name it. We always just Googled recipes or used recipes from homebrewing magazines.

allendodd
beers 118 º places 2 º 20:23 Sun 5/4/2014

Originally posted by drowland
Yep, we used to do it all the time. Bread, cookies, animal treats, pizza dough - basically, you name it. We always just Googled recipes or used recipes from homebrewing magazines.
any favorites for bread?

weihenweizen
beers 6991 º places 700 º 06:24 Mon 5/5/2014

Jackie O’s makes pizza with spent grain, really good.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 07:26 Mon 5/5/2014

Originally posted by allendodd
Originally posted by drowland
any favorites for bread?

Try 350g bread flour, 150g spent grain, 300g water, 10g yeast, 10g salt. Mix everything together, rise until doubled (1.5-3 hours, depending on ambient temp and a host of other things), form into a ball, rise until doubled again. Keep in a covered bowl (saran wrap) while rising. Heat a cast iron dutch oven to 500F. Place the dough in the cast iron, lower heat to 450, bake for 15 minutes covered, remove cover, bake for 25 more minutes.

The recipe is easily doubled. Split into two balls after the first rise. This is the recipe for your most basic lean country-style loaf, with some spent grains added in there. Depending on how it comes out, you could try increasing the total proportion of grains, and/or increasing water up to a max of 375g, if you are bold.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 07:33 Mon 5/5/2014

I’ve never successfully done it myself, but I’ve given spent grain to a friend of mine who makes great bread of it. She usually does some darker sourdough bread in which you usually use a bit of scalded flour. Instead, she scalds the spent grain and uses it for scalding. Also, you can try using wort instead of water. This is traditionally done for Christmas over here.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 07:59 Mon 5/5/2014

I’ve used spent grain in sour dough rye bread a bunch of times, and have stopped doing it as I have come to the conclusion that it doesn’t really cintribute anything flavour- and texture-wise, and the husks got stuck in the teeth all the time. scroll past.

b3shine
beers 12184 º places 372 º 08:08 Mon 5/5/2014

Originally posted by weihenweizen
Jackie O’s used to make pizzas with spent grain, really good.

Sooo good! Did they stop?

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 08:12 Mon 5/5/2014

I don’t do much bread baking any more but I have done this in the past on several occasions, and with good results. The bread gets a bit weird if you put in too much spent mash, so start by going a bit easy. I never used a recipe, I’d just add a cup of used grains to a basic bread recipe. Belgian Pils grains from my saison seemed to work out very well as I recall. You’ll just have to experiment a bit to find out what works for you.