St Albans couchsurf scrounge

Reads 813 • Replies 11 • Started Friday, August 26, 2016 5:31:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 17:31 Fri 8/26/2016

We’ve just booked our flights to and from the UK, and after family duties will be roaming free from Mon 26th Sept - Sun 2nd Oct (yay, 6am flight on Monday - no point going to sleep). The plan is to spend a lot of that time at the Stalbans Beer Fest, but maybe we’ll bubble around the london area a bit too - I’ve heard you have some good beer there! As always we’re on an eastern european budget, so are just wondering if there is any couchsurf potential during that time? (beer for beds will be tricky, as we’re travelling with only cabin luggage, but I’m pretty sure there will be some things in the airport that we can pick up.)

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 17:28 Tue 8/30/2016

OK, nice cheap hostel found. Now looking for advice on what to do between monday and wednesday. Our default is to do what we always do, and just head to Cambridge, as it’s trivial to absorb 2 days there. However, perhaps we should hit a different town or two in the south east.

I was wondering whether Colchester was worth a day of crawling, Anna’s never been there and I remember from my youth it was a rather pretty old town, so it has tourism potential. Any other suggestions?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 18:33 Tue 8/30/2016

Yes, Colchester is definitely worth a day. Ruth & I did all the places on RateBeer on a day trip and they pretty much all have something going for them one way or another. The Adnams one could probably be left out. I’d have liked to eat at the Gurkha place but time was tight & I think you need to book. Choosing from the menu is easy - you get what you’re given. Most are proper pubs and even the craft beer bar was rather nice.

Sorry we couldn’t put you up on this visit but we don’t get back from Borefts until the Tuesday at the earliest and later in the week we have family visiting.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 02:37 Wed 8/31/2016

Cool beans, Chris. Your mayordom was noted (as was the absense of your reviews - tut tut!) I don’t suppose you have an expanded PDF like you did for Norwich, do you? It looks like everything on RB for Colchester is within a 1km*500m square, and 1-day crawlable, so we’ll probably just stay the end of the day there and then dart off to another town on the Tuesday morning.

Any suggestions for a Tuesday equivalent, another beertastic and also preferably historic town which won’t gobble up too much travel time by public transtrike? (Thanks to Ian, we already have Canterbury town-ticked.) (Worst comes to the worst, I guess I could actually visit London itself!)

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:35 Wed 8/31/2016

Originally posted by FatPhil
I don’t suppose you have an expanded PDF like you did for Norwich, do you?

I think Ruth did something like that. I’ll check.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:27 Thu 9/1/2016

Originally posted by FatPhil
Any suggestions for a Tuesday equivalent, another beertastic and also preferably historic town which won’t gobble up too much travel time by public transtrike?

Ipswich? To be honest, although I’ve been there briefly on a couple of occasions, I’ve never done a comprehensive pub crawl (I doubt anyone else on RateBeer has either) and I don’t know what it’s like in terms of historic interest.

Bury St Edmunds is a nice place to visit but I know how much you love Greene King so I doubt you’ll be rushing there. Probably a bit thin on beery GK alternatives for a day.

Chelmsford has a few decent beery options but isn’t a very interesting city (in my view, obviously).

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1563 º places 1908 º 05:56 Thu 9/1/2016

There are a couple of brewpubs in Bury St Edmunds, not been there but are on the map.

Have been to Ipswich, but only a couple of venues. Brewpub is OK.

Norwich is really good, plenty of places in the city centre and all close together.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:45 Thu 9/1/2016

Originally posted by WingmanWillis
Norwich is really good, plenty of places in the city centre and all close together.

Indeed. However, I didn’t suggest that as Phil did Norwich on a previous visit.

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1563 º places 1908 º 07:24 Thu 9/1/2016

Chelmsford is decent, the local CAMRA did do a guide of the local pubs with a map. Link not working on website, which is unhelpful!

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 14:19 Thu 9/1/2016

Originally posted by WingmanWillis
Chelmsford is decent, the local CAMRA did do a guide of the local pubs with a map. Link not working on website, which is unhelpful!

I have a printed version although it’s a couple of years old. I think I picked it up in a pub in Chelmsford.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 06:43 Fri 9/2/2016

Monday day + night in Colchester booked, looking forward to it.

Tuesday options - keep ’em coming
A friend who worked or lived in Ipswich for a while said it was as dull as dishwater.
Narch I’d like to visit again at some point, but it’s a bit far, as we want to be in St. Albans early Wed for the BF (11am), and don’t like getting up early, or commuter trains.
Chelmsford has the "gets us closer to St. Albans" feature in its favour, and I’ve always wanted to go there as I’m a big fan of Badvoc and Aulus Paulinus. Places look like they could use some love, and I’m happy to volunteer, but the cheapest B&B’s more than I paid for a 4* hotel in glorious eastern europe a few months back! That’s the best suggestion for a new place yet. Glad it got a positive thumbs up, as I was already considering it because of location.