Stilton was made for barley wine?

Reads 3238 • Replies 25 • Started Monday, December 9, 2013 2:03:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

verbalessence
beers 1 º places 3 º 03:25 Tue 1/14/2014

Originally posted by fiulijn

I find blue cheese to be too aggressive for matching with red wine; I prefer to have a sweet white, or a watered down peaty Islay whiskey.

I don’t know anything about the history of Stilton and Barleywine but I do know blue cheeses and peated whiskey are a match made in heaven (doesn’t have to be watered down though), so I reckon a barrel agec peated stout might work very well too

KyotoLefty
beers 15093 º places 1059 º 04:45 Tue 1/14/2014

Stilton isn’t too bad with a good BA Imperial Stout either. I suppose a gueuze or Saison Dupont would be fine as well.

Danko
05:30 Tue 1/14/2014

Stlton cheese with Swedish ginger bread cookies and Westvleteren 12 is a phenomenal combination.

obguthr
beers 11684 º places 22 º 07:57 Tue 1/14/2014

If I’m ever strapped into the electric chair, my last meal will consist of: Oysters wrapped in bacon, Pork tenderloin with Stilton sauce, and an Old Ruffian.

_angst_
beers 5019 º places 97 º 00:25 Wed 1/29/2014

Had to try this and the stars aligned yesterday evening when I decided to open a bottle of Green Flash Barleywine from 2012 and just happened to have a small piece of extra mature Stilton in the fridge. Sure, not the traditional mix with an American Style Barley Wine but still a great match. The cheese really blended well with the caramel sweetness and pine bitterness of the beer.