StoutBeer Top 50

Reads 2027 • Replies 25 • Started Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:29:10 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 12:29 Wed 4/15/2015

Just, wow! LOL.

Haven’t spent much time here lately, though been rating for over 10 years, but it sure makes an impression come back and see the ever increasing preponderance of Imperial Stouts, particularly special edition hard to get ones.

Hardly "news" on rate beer, just an observation from an old beer rater from times when things were maybe a little different!

As always I appreciate everything you guys do, and ratebeer as a resource has always steered be more right ways than wrong. Cheers!

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 12:35 Wed 4/15/2015

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 12:45 Wed 4/15/2015

We went from what, 10-20 of them 10 years ago to 30 or so now in the top 50? Mainly kicking out other high gravity difficult to find beers (Barley wines, belgian strong, IIPA AbtQuad, etc.). Add in a couple of the difficult to find lambics* and you have our current top 50. Probably a reason why RB took it out of front and center location many years ago.

MJ has some good lists. You can definitely customize your own top 50 as well, or at least you could last time I checked.

Just seems like people like big over the top shit on here. Soured sours. Imperial dessert peanut butter triple stout, stuff like that. Does well in 2 ounce pours during tastings. Hell, is ice cider truly killing it?

http://www.ratebeer.com/top/all-cider

*why are all easy to find cantillons and 3f under a 4 yet the one off special edition hard to find ones are mostly 4.0+?

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 12:53 Wed 4/15/2015

Originally posted by pepsican
*why are all easy to find cantillons and 3f under a 4 yet the one off special edition hard to find ones are mostly 4.0+?

Confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance. The effort required to acquire a bottle factors into the enjoyment of what’s inside (given score), and when the product is less enjoyable than expected, an individual is less likely to give a poor score than with an easy to find bottle. There’s also a wider audience for the readily available lambics so you would need to control for people who have only had both when comparing scores.

bytemesis
beers 15350 º places 1601 º 12:57 Wed 4/15/2015

More importantly, why do we spend so much time bitching about what in the end is just a Baysian weighted average of what the users of the site think?

The top 50 can be filtered 7 ways from Sunday if you want to exclude things, and you can also view the top 50 in any of the 76 styles.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 12:57 Wed 4/15/2015

Just seems like people like big over the top shit on here. Soured sours. Imperial dessert peanut butter triple stout, stuff like that. Does well in 2 ounce pours during tastings. Hell, is ice cider truly killing it?

That’s why I added sliders for ABV and Ratecount. When I look at lagers of course strong/sweet beers will score better with large groups and long time periods. So 5% and below is what I want to see

(of course darker generally scores higher than pale given beer geek’s bias against pale malt, it’s easier to find agreement in dark lagers)

dnicolaescu
beers 3909 º places 65 º 13:57 Wed 4/15/2015

What is unverified?

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 14:00 Wed 4/15/2015

Originally posted by dnicolaescu
What is unverified?

it’s an admin function for finding unverified entries.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 14:20 Wed 4/15/2015

Originally posted by 3fourths

Confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance. The effort required to acquire a bottle factors into the enjoyment of what’s inside (given score), and when the product is less enjoyable than expected, an individual is less likely to give a poor score than with an easy to find bottle. There’s also a wider audience for the readily available lambics so you would need to control for people who have only had both when comparing scores.

This

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 14:35 Wed 4/15/2015

No bitching from me byte, just love for it all.

And Pepsi I agree (if you’re not sarcastic), iced ciders are worthy and upmarket ciders generally might be on their way to kill. It’s a little more like the wine market as well, with specific apple varieties and blends that do well in specific regions. Gluten free is an easy sell...

Travlr
beers 33920 º places 4607 º 14:47 Wed 4/15/2015