Success in Ciders

Reads 2747 • Replies 33 • Started Monday, March 10, 2014 4:28:56 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

garthicus
beers 3025 º places 65 º 01:31 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by bitbucket
Originally posted by garthicus
Mine has been fermenting in my attic room since last Wednesday, I intend to bottle for second fermentation on Thursday this week. It’s been sitting in a temp between 20c and 25c.

I’m really looking forward to the end result, this was a cider making kit (came with an apple concentrate) but the next one I’m going to make from pressed apple juice.

1. That’s a pretty wide swing in temps. I’d be happier on the low end.
2. That might be too aggressive of a bottling schedule. I find that ciders continue to work for a while, so you may think you’re bottling a still cider and end up carbonated.

Interesting, thanks. The instructions (it’s a kit) says to store it between 18 and 30c, the room has generally been between 20 and 25, I’ve to check the gravity today and will likely bottle tomorrow. I want it to be carbonated so adding a spoon full of sugar into each too (as per instructions)

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 15:14 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by unclemattie
Originally posted by drowland
Cheapest shelf apple juice
brown sugar
yeast

No really. Does shelf juice work? I want to try Martinelli’s.

Yep, do it all the time and add all kinds of goofy ingredients. The haters here will tell you it won’t work, is gross, or isn’t cider, but that’s not true in my experience.

The first time my roommate and I did it, we sent it to a homebrew competition and scored in the 40s (out of 50).

My brother tweaked the recipe and won best of show at a competition. He had people asking him if he pressed apples, blah blah, and he told them nope, just Wally World Apple Juice.

Want sweetness? Add some lactose sugar.

HornyDevil
13:04 Fri 5/9/2014

Dude . . . what happened to this post series?

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer