Success in Imperial Stout

Reads 2727 • Replies 29 • Started Monday, February 17, 2014 5:11:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 17:11 Mon 2/17/2014

See original thread here:

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/success-in-series-idea_253193.htm

Success in Imperial Stout:

1. 20% oats
2. Cold-steeped roasted grains
3. Aggressive but balanced hopping

1. Single Origin Coffee
2. Bourbon Barrel
3. Diabeetus (Barrel?)

Dennoman
beers 21 º places 1 º 02:41 Tue 2/18/2014

1. Maximum base malts
2. Candy syrup
3. Cognac or Islay whisky

umich03jm
beers 3512 º places 13 º 02:53 Tue 2/18/2014

1. Diverse grain bill
2. Lots of Magnum hops
3. Ferment in a colder room

Just wanted to clarify #3. I don’t have a temperature controlled room for fermenting my homebrew. My first attempt at an imperial stout came out ridiculously hot. I kept my carboy in the same place I’ve kept my previous brews which is in my basement at about 66-67 degrees. After researching a bit I realized that massive amount of yeast needed will create more heat than the usual brew. I threw my second imperial stout carboy in a colder area of my house that stays in the 56-60 degree range. It came out much better than my first attempt.

Does anyone else do this?

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 03:37 Tue 2/18/2014

Mostly stated above...
1. Massive yeast starter
2. Dehusked carafa for a large amount of the roasted grain
3. Magnum hops for bittering (true for most beers over 35IBU)
4. Ferment cool
5. Mash warm (157-160F)
6. Lots of crystal malt for body and high FG

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 06:45 Tue 2/18/2014

1. About 20% oats
2. Dehusked carafa
3. Simple malt bill, mash low, boil long
4. No aroma hops, maximum 50 IBU

HornyDevil
07:13 Tue 2/18/2014

1) Complex grainbill mashed high

2) Low cohumulone bittering addition only

3) Large starter of English Ale yeast

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 09:56 Tue 2/18/2014

1. Healthy fermentation via appropriate amount of healthy yeast, yeast nutrient, and sufficient oxygen and temperature control. Acetaldehyde is a very prominent off-flavor in the style that ruins a lot of examples and this is likely due to poor fermentation in most cases.

2. Balance your bitterness to FG. Low IBU is OK for a highly attenuated, more Belgian-like example, but for an old-school UK or US Monster-type with a high FG, get plenty of bitterness in there, especially if you plan on aging it for a long period, as the IBUs will drop significantly.

3. I think grain composition, aroma hops, yeast strain and any additives are pretty open in this style, which makes it so widely appealing. Make it fun.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 10:53 Tue 2/18/2014

Originally posted by Homer321
5. Mash warm (157-160F)

I’ve generally agreed with this, but I just had an incredible imperial stout from Wicked Weed (this) that they intentionally mashed low (150) to stay dry and quaffable in line with their IPAs and sours. It worked incredibly well to the point that I’m giving it a shot this weekend to try it myself. They also made about 6% of the grist dextrose and honey to dry it out further, but of course you have to adjust the rest of your grain bill to avoid making it too hot.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:09 Tue 2/18/2014

Originally posted by SamGamgee
1. Healthy fermentation via appropriate amount of healthy yeast, yeast nutrient, and sufficient oxygen and temperature control. Acetaldehyde is a very prominent off-flavor in the style that ruins a lot of examples and this is likely due to poor fermentation in most cases.

2. Balance your bitterness to FG. Low IBU is OK for a highly attenuated, more Belgian-like example, but for an old-school UK or US Monster-type with a high FG, get plenty of bitterness in there, especially if you plan on aging it for a long period, as the IBUs will drop significantly.

3. I think grain composition, aroma hops, yeast strain and any additives are pretty open in this style, which makes it so widely appealing. Make it fun.

This.

And a bourbon barrel.

aenima
beers 334 º places 47 º 02:02 Wed 2/19/2014

1, enought yeast

2, not to much specialty grains

3, 3-5% black malt, 5-10% roasted barley, 5-10% carafa 1

4, additions of carbonates to the mash

5, brown malt

6, enought bitterness to balance the sweetness.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer