Surly Beer Hall at Surly’s new brewery in Minneapolis

Reads 1647 • Replies 17 • Started Friday, December 12, 2014 11:53:11 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 11:53 Fri 12/12/2014

Surly’s Beer Hall (taproom) at its new Minneapolis brewery finally opens on Friday, December 19. Pictures of the interior are available at the link. The separate restaurant in the same building will not open until some time in 2015. Is anybody planning on braving the crowds on the first day? I strongly dislike lines, and yet I can’t help but be tempted. It looks impressive from the pictures.

520 Malcolm Av. SE, Minneapolis, MN

http://www.startribune.com/galleries/285373881.html

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 12:11 Fri 12/12/2014

Meh. Looks nice. Will get there eventually, can’t imagine wanting to be there opening day.

CLevar
places 23 º 12:17 Fri 12/12/2014

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Meh. Looks nice. Will get there eventually, can’t imagine wanting to be there opening day.

Exactly this

kbutler1
beers 1383 º places 107 º 12:40 Fri 12/12/2014

Too gentrified

Stine
beers 1810 º places 259 º 15:19 Fri 12/12/2014

I plan to get there sometime in 2015, after at least a dozen trips each to Steel Toe and Fair State.

CLevar
places 23 º 15:54 Fri 12/12/2014

Originally posted by Stine
I plan to get there sometime in 2015, after at least a dozen trips each to Steel Toe and Fair State.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 15:59 Fri 12/12/2014

Still wondering why they chose that location. A plan to get customers to and from downtown sporting events? It doesnt seem lome the st paul line will be as bisy for that purpose with its absence of park and ride locations.

kbutler1
beers 1383 º places 107 º 16:09 Fri 12/12/2014

Originally posted by JK
Still wondering why they chose that location. A plan to get customers to and from downtown sporting events? It doesnt seem lome the st paul line will be as bisy for that purpose with its absence of park and ride locations.

From a Star Trib article:

"Surly looked at more than 80 potential locations in 30 cities around the metro area, and they were wooed mightily along the way. But company officials said they liked the “Malcolm Midway” spot best because it has ample room for the brewery’s infrastructure, and because it’s close to public transit and bike trails."

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 22:17 Fri 12/12/2014

Let’s not forget that Surly’s taproom is the reason all the other taprooms in the state exist at all. This is not just another taproom, and Surly is not just another brewery. People’s tastes differ, of course, but I still think Surly generally brews at a higher level than everyone else in the state does, including a solid if a bit staid brewery (with an all-too-cramped taproom) in Steel Toe and a very promising young brewery in Fair State. I fully expect to make more visits to Surly Beer Hall than to any other taproom in 2015; I’m just trying to decide whether it’s so appealing that I’m willing to put up with the crowds in 2014.

CLevar
places 23 º 23:35 Fri 12/12/2014

While I won’t disagree with the analysis that surly has done a ton from craft beer in MN ( and that’s putting it very lightly!) I don’t see why this is any reason to skip out on going to a different favorite local.

Surly has moved on imo. Out of state markets, a massive beer hall, etc put them out of the "little guy" realm. and for those who enjoy supporting the "little guy", be it a small local place or a new startup, it would make sense that our time and money is spent elsewhere

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 01:05 Sat 12/13/2014

Originally posted by CLevar
While I won’t disagree with the analysis that surly has done a ton from craft beer in MN ( and that’s putting it very lightly!) I don’t see why this is any reason to skip out on going to a different favorite local.

Surly has moved on imo. Out of state markets, a massive beer hall, etc put them out of the "little guy" realm. and for those who enjoy supporting the "little guy", be it a small local place or a new startup, it would make sense that our time and money is spent elsewhere

Fair enough. I’m the kind of guy who usually will choose "obscure and who knows?" over "good and everyone knows." That said, to me, Surly will always be that exciting upstart brewery that was blowing away Minnesota palates with Bender and Furious back in 2006. As an early adopter, I’m proud to see them grow into a regional powerhouse with worldwide acclaim and a bank-busting brewery to match.

I do think that some of the much lesser known local breweries are doing great work. I won’t hesitate to say that a small local brewery can stand toe-to-toe with highly hyped national peers when I believe it’s true, and I think that certain breweries barely known outside of the area like Dave’s BrewFarm, Dangerous Man, Sisyphus, and Fair State do exactly that, even if I don’t put them on Surly’s high level. I understand that you played a pivotal role in the brewing of Fair State Funkelweizen, and, in all honesty, that’s a serious contender for the best American sour I’ve ever had (plus, they brew a darn good Rauchbock and IPA to boot).