The great australian beertrip

Reads 785 • Replies 7 • Started Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:37:09 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Bolagshataren
07:37 Wed 10/9/2013

G’day!
Wé’re going down under next week visiting bars and brewpubs mostly.
In NSW there is a pub called Georg IV inn listed as brewpub here.But on the brewerys webpage it says another one then what it says here.
Do they really brew at the inn?

mullet
beers 849 º places 230 º 21:53 Wed 10/9/2013

Hmmm... the pub’s website makes no mention of the brewery and vice versa. I’m gonna guess it’s no longer brewed there (the bottles look like contract jobs). You could always hit them up on Facebook...

Shame if so, it was an interesting pub.

Bolagshataren
16:07 Thu 10/10/2013

How about stupid laws? Are there different laws in different territories? Can you buy beer in grocery stores?Are you allowed to drink in a car (as long as you are not behind the wheel)? Why is it that so many beerplaces have the word"hotel"in them? I have not seen this anywhere else. Or is it just that you got the best hotelbars in the world? We will be visiting VIC, ACT and NSW.
I can’t wait!

mullet
beers 849 º places 230 º 19:36 Thu 10/10/2013

"Hotel" is a historical thing mostly - pubs used to all have accomodation. Hotel = pub; bar = bar, basically.

You aren’t allowed to have open alcohol containers in a car (at least in Vic). Any difference in laws between states is pretty subtle I think.

No beer in grocery stores, though most big supermarkets have a bottle shop next door - but they won’t have much good beer.

Not sure about stupid laws. Most Australians would consider having a state alcohol monopoly a bit stupid. :P

Bolagshataren
22:38 Thu 10/10/2013

It is, but that is how its done here in the Peoples nannystate monarchy.

What about six-packs? Do you usually have to buy a full one?

Bolagshataren
11:16 Mon 10/14/2013

Paddys in Sydney, is it still around? The last review of the place is a couple of months old and their website is down...

Bolagshataren
17:55 Thu 10/17/2013

Barfred in Melbourme, is it still around? The last review of the place is a couple of years old and their website is down...

mullet
beers 849 º places 230 º 18:54 Thu 10/17/2013

Buying single bottles is fine everywhere.

Paddy’s should be still going. I’d be sad if it wasn’t. Well worth a trip.

Bar Fred’s still going strong. Not the most cutting edge beer list these days, but they’ve got plenty of beer. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1479670/restaurant/Melbourne/Bar-Fred-Carlton-North