The War on Sweetness

Reads 2238 • Replies 36 • Started Sunday, April 3, 2016 1:12:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Originally posted by FooFaa
I’d rather not be so dogmatic about when sweetness is and is not appropriate. I think it’s more useful to evaluate a beer on its own merits, and not a set of rules of what is appropriate for a style. For example, try and see what the brewer was going for with a particular beer, and whether or not the sweetness or dryness of the beer works.
These two ideas do not have to be at odds; a new beer experience may change your perception of how sweet (an IPA, for instance) can acceptably be.

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 10:03 Tue 4/5/2016

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
I’d rather not be so dogmatic about when sweetness is and is not appropriate. I think it’s more useful to evaluate a beer on its own merits, and not a set of rules of what is appropriate for a style. For example, try and see what the brewer was going for with a particular beer, and whether or not the sweetness or dryness of the beer works.
These two ideas do not have to be at odds; a new beer experience may change your perception of how sweet (an IPA, for instance) can acceptably be.

I’m not sure I understand where you’re coming from. There was no implied mutual exclusivity in my post. I’m more at odds with the idea of creating a set a rules for when sweetness is appropriate. Perhaps I’m a bit confused on where the "War on Sweetness" is coming from. If some people dig super dry hop bombs, and others enjoy a bit of sweetness to round out the flavor then that’s all cool.

CH-303
beers 4551 º places 137 º 10:41 Tue 4/5/2016

Originally posted by FROTHINGSLOSH
I like my beer like my women - full bodied and sweet.

Glad you didn’t say Dry and Sour...

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 10:50 Tue 4/5/2016

My problem tends to originate more with beers that are underattenuated than ones that are ’sweet’. I’d rather not drink wort, thanks.

obguthr
beers 11721 º places 22 º 19:02 Tue 4/5/2016

Slightly sweet is better for me, in general, and across most all styles. However, I’m more apt to drain pour a beer that is too sweet than too dry. The latter I can actually tolerate. Rauchbiers and saisons are really the only styles I want to be dry.

furthur
beers 2164 º places 40 º 21:57 Tue 4/5/2016

Balanced, for style, tending towards dry, is my sweet spot.

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 10:32 Thu 4/7/2016

For me, sweetness is really only a problem if it’s out of balance. I like some sweetness in my IPAs from time to time. Barleywines and Imperial Stouts typically have a lot of bitterness to balance the massive sweetness, so I’m good with that. Saison is definitely a style I can’t deal with a lot of sweetness in.

If sweetness isn’t balanced with some bitterness, or tartness depending on style, then it veers into that cloying territory, and that’s what I would take issue with the most.

The same goes for other flavors, too. I literally can’t take abominably tart, paint-stripping beers. And I’ve had my share of overly bitter hop-bombs that really could have used a dash of sweetness to break up the cotton-mouth.

I think we need more englishy barleywines and germanic doppelbocks etc, not less. I love IPA and all, and sour-dry, but a good malt bomb hits the spot sometimes too.

blutt59
beers 6999 º places 210 º 20:00 Thu 4/7/2016

Yeah to Dopples and Barleywines, not so much anything else that doesn’t have some sherry or wine note to balance unless it’s calvados then I don’t care

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer

I’m not sure I understand where you’re coming from. There was no implied mutual exclusivity in my post. I’m more at odds with the idea of creating a set a rules for when sweetness is appropriate. Perhaps I’m a bit confused on where the "War on Sweetness" is coming from. If some people dig super dry hop bombs, and others enjoy a bit of sweetness to round out the flavor then that’s all cool.
Nor am I trying to create a set of rules; on the contrary, I started this thread to combat (or at least to consider) that we, as a community, attack sweetness as a flaw far too often. Read almost any beer rating that is unfavorable, and I’ll bet you that four (or more) out of five mention "too sweet" as the flaw in question. I think it’s become a shortcut to thinking for too many of us.

I’m all for people liking what they truly like (ditto for the contrary), but I’m against what I see as mindless groupthink that assumes dryness > sweetness in all cases when it comes to beer, no matter the style or the aim and intent of the brewer.