thirds

Reads 1781 • Replies 18 • Started Monday, August 1, 2016 11:37:15 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 02:04 Tue 8/2/2016

Mostly thirds and bottle shares for me now.
There some where between 10 and 20 pubs in Edinburgh that do thirds Now.
and of all the ones i drink in on a semi regular only 1 is halves as its smallest measure

hopbomber
beers 88 º places 40 º 04:10 Tue 8/2/2016

3 x 1/3 flight for the price of a pint yes please - £5 1/3s no thanks. I like the idea of a small amount. However, too often I feel this new measurement in bars is an excuse to sell strong beers at prices way above what they should be...

theprof
beers 4295 º places 42 º 07:34 Tue 8/2/2016

I agree especially relatively low abv craft ales. If my locals served third at £1.10 I’d tolerate it. There’s a corkage charge for the glass I accept but paying the equivalent of £6-6.50 a pint for 4% ale grates.

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 10:17 Tue 8/2/2016

I’ll always drink thirds where available (or abroad even smaller*). I really wish thirds had been widely available over the last 20 years - insofar as my pub expenditure would have been about a third lower, and beer festival tick rate 50% higher!

* unless there’s a serious ticker tax. Some parts of Europe are terrible for that, with 0.2l costing 70%+ of 0.5l. America I find varies between some brewpubs offering 4 x 4oz for the same price as a pretend pint to 4 x 4oz for about twice the pint rate. Special ticker-friendly award to Friends of Spam in Leeds though, any 3 thirds £5.50 even if (as on my previous visit) all three beers are north of £6 a pint

I also strongly dislike 750ml bottles. Sure, there’s the odd beer (like Wild Squashed Grape at the Shakespeare this week) that I’ll go back to and have a few times, but for every one of them there’s dozens that I’ll have a small bottle (or a third/half) and I’ll enjoy it and move on to the next, as well as a few that I’ll have a small bottle/half and regret having even that. I really don’t want to be splashing out on a huge bottle not knowing if I’ll want all of it, more, or far less…

Pints for me usually: halves if there are ’plenty ticks’, thirds are not a thing in Shropshire.

Had my share of small amounts during the frantic (or should that be ’yespa-tick’) RBESG in Barcelona last month. Fun, but four days of mega ticking left me wanting a leisurely cask pint in a country pub back in England. I have concluded I much prefer my slower rating style, even if my belly and body want me to drink thirds!

<*))))))><

Going from Clapham Junction to Putney to Fulham v Newcastle on Friday so will try halves/thirds. But will be only person not on pints so may give up early. Last Prince of Wales beer festival I started with a half but finished that before my mates had more than a third of their pints so reverted to pints. Not good for rounds.

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 13:46 Wed 8/3/2016

Rounds... Now there’s a complication. Bad enough when you’re out with non-beergeeks and want two halves instead of a pint, try telling whoever’s in the chair you want three thirds...!

theprof
beers 4295 º places 42 º 09:36 Tue 8/9/2016

Rounds fuel conversation. Thirds ratings