KeyCask

Reads 1509 • Replies 4 • Started Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:43:52 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 10:43 Thu 8/28/2014

Anyone used this? I see it on the KeyKeg website but as far as I can tell it is identical to the regular kegs. Is this just different branding to appease some in the UK market? they seem to be very cryptic about it. We’ve been having good luck with the slimline kegs for our sour beers but I’m wondering what we could get out of these.

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 11:02 Thu 8/28/2014

Not sure, we mainly use take keykegs from brewers and we put some of them on cask though it can be a bit of a faff

InvalidStout
14:17 Thu 8/28/2014

Same thing. If you condition beer in the KeyKeg/Cask and then dispense it without any extraneous gas touching the beer, it complies with CAMRA’s definition of Real Ale.

What I don’t understand is how you can then compress the inner bag without disturbing the sediment.

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 02:53 Fri 8/29/2014

Originally posted by InvalidStout
Same thing. If you condition beer in the KeyKeg/Cask and then dispense it without any extraneous gas touching the beer, it complies with CAMRA’s definition of Real Ale.

What I don’t understand is how you can then compress the inner bag without disturbing the sediment.

Decompress it. Get Knife, cut hole, put cask line in

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 03:46 Fri 8/29/2014

What De Struise does (Danko can correct me if I’m wrong) in their "Real Ale" versions of their beers in order to comply with CAMRA’s requirements when using KeyKegs for cask beers is to transfer it to kegs before the beer ferments out completely (thus creating carbonation in the keg). They use nitrous oxide instead of carbon dioxide to create the pressure gradient for transferring so no gas is taken up by the liquid (NO2 is a lot less soluble in liquid).