your family’s thoughts on craft beer

Reads 1925 • Replies 31 • Started Sunday, September 21, 2014 10:53:35 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ohiobeer29
22:53 Sun 9/21/2014

So my family asks me about the beer I drink I then go into the whole craft beer industry and why I hunt and drink the beers I do.it actually turned into a decent discussion anyone else have to explain craft beer to their family and how did it go?did they gain a better understanding ? Approving etc?

minutemat
beers 14673 º places 551 º 23:38 Sun 9/21/2014

I try not to lecture my brothers about craft or vice versa - beers they enjoy but i dont think much of. I just give them a bottle ir two at Christmas or birthdays and talk about why theyre great beers. Still dont think they ’get’ it.. last Christmas i got a ’Beers of the World’ gift box with Fosters, Carlsberg, Budweiser & Carling.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 00:24 Mon 9/22/2014

My parents has appreciated the good things in life as long as I’ve remember: good food, good music, good wine, good spirits etc. My mother didn’t really drink beer earlier. My father did to some extent and had tried some craft beer but had no real interest. After I started to get interested some 4-5 years back, my father and to some extent also my mother realized that this was another beverage to appreciate. I have since treated them to good beer every now and then (and since a few years they buy craft beer themselves every now and them). My father really likes maltier beers (Belgian strong ales and barley wines are his favorites) and also hoppier, lighter stuff whereas my mother’s favorites are lambics and DIPAs. During the summers, it isn’t uncommon that we sit on their deck at home and drinking hoppy APA/IPAs. So, in conclusion, they totally get it. My sister doesn’t care as she doesn’t like beer at all, but she has partaken in beer tastings a few times.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 00:32 Mon 9/22/2014

Im an alcoholic who smoke screens it by pretending to care about flavours .

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 00:56 Mon 9/22/2014

Alcoholism disguised as a hobby/pastime.

Apathetic at best.

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 04:24 Mon 9/22/2014

Somewhere between mild curiosity and amusement. Oh, and everything I drink is a "dark beer."

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 04:39 Mon 9/22/2014

Originally posted by RichTheVillan

craft beer - "it’s not alcoholism, it’s a hobby."

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 04:45 Mon 9/22/2014

Originally posted by OldGrowth

Sounds like denial stage

drfabulous
beers 15589 º places 239 º 05:48 Mon 9/22/2014

Two brothers in law, wife, we all drink craft.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 05:52 Mon 9/22/2014

Originally posted by OldGrowth

Sounds like denial stage

it’s a t shirt
Craft Beer: it’s not alcoholism, it’s a hobby