Short questions about tags

Reads 1638 • Replies 17 • Started Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:54:00 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

_angst_
beers 5019 º places 97 º 12:54 Sun 12/21/2014

Howdy!

I do love the concept of the tag system and have started to try to use it as often as I can and tag beers I enter to the site or rate. Have a few questions though...

Who do I contact to create new tags?
(have come across a couple I’d like to see added and I can’t seem to add them myself)

And also. Is there an admin or group of admins that handle tag related stuff that one should contact with issues and questions regarding tags specifically? (several admins seem to barley know about the feature :))

I’m sure this has been asked before but I never seem to be able to get friends with the forum search on this site...

Cheers!
Alex

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 13:05 Sun 12/21/2014

I always thought a tag for Michael Jacksons 500 classic brews would be interesting.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 13:07 Sun 12/21/2014

Points of contact for tags are myself and GT2.

_angst_
beers 5019 º places 97 º 13:30 Sun 12/21/2014

I’ve always thought I needed another reason to bug GT :D

Are you the ones that create tags too?

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 15:27 Sun 12/21/2014

I think most of the admins can do that. Not sure if you have to be premium to do it but there is a search button for beers to add to a certain tag. It’s smart enough to only bring up the ones that aren’t already tagged. So if someone makes a new tag and you want to populate it quickly you can do that.

Example

Of course you should make sure that the tag actually applies before adding it because only admins can remove them if they’re wrong. For example the search for the word pickle found a brewery with that word in the name. I’m sure most of their beers don’t actually have pickles in them

EDIT: CONGRATS TO fiulijn FOR BEING THE NUMBER ONE PICKLE RATER ON RATEBEER.

_angst_
beers 5019 º places 97 º 16:14 Sun 12/21/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0
I think most of the admins can do that. Not sure if you have to be premium to do it but there is a search button for beers to add to a certain tag. It’s smart enough to only bring up the ones that aren’t already tagged. So if someone makes a new tag and you want to populate it quickly you can do that.

Example

Of course you should make sure that the tag actually applies before adding it because only admins can remove them if they’re wrong. For example the search for the word pickle found a brewery with that word in the name. I’m sure most of their beers don’t actually have pickles in them

EDIT: CONGRATS TO fiulijn FOR BEING THE NUMBER ONE PICKLE RATER ON RATEBEER.

Cool. In the tag home there is some big blue text at the bottom of the page that says add tag but me as a regular premium member can’t klick it so I guess I have to bug the admins about adding new tags to the site.

That search function is cool. Haven’t seen that before. Will surely come in handy at some point.

It’s untrue that only admins can delete tags added to a beer. It’s a bit bulky though. You have to go to the tag home and press the tag you want to remove from the beer to get the list of all beers with the tag. There each beer has a red cross you can press to remove the tag from that beer so you have to browse till you find the beer to remove the tag. Most likely exist an easier way to do this but I haven’t found it so far (have only had to do this once or twice :)).

Cheers!
Alex

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 16:23 Sun 12/21/2014

Originally posted by _angst_
Cool. In the tag home there is some big blue text at the bottom of the page that says add tag but me as a regular premium member can’t klick it so I guess I have to bug the admins about adding new tags to the site.

Yeah, I had bugged them about that too. Seems like a simple request. What tag are you looking to get added?

It’s untrue that only admins can delete tags added to a beer. It’s a bit bulky though. You have to go to the tag home and press the tag you want to remove from the beer to get the list of all beers with the tag.

You’re right, I must have blocked that experience from memory. It was such a pain in the ass to page through a couple thousand beers to find the one I had just added. Easier to just message an admin to fix it

_angst_
beers 5019 º places 97 º 16:50 Sun 12/21/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0Yeah, I had bugged them about that too. Seems like a simple request. What tag are you looking to get added?

The following are tags I’ve tried to add to beers/meads so far but haven’t been able to since they don’t exist (that doesn’t mean they should exists, just that I’ve searched for them :)):
#ratebeer - for stuff made for ratebeerians or ratebeer in general. For example milestone beers.
#session mead - for session strength meads like for example B Nektar Kill All The Golfers.
#vanilla stout - same as #chocolate stout or #coffee stout except vanilla.
#viola - for stuff made with viola flowers.

I know there are more but it’s currently too late in the evening for me to remember what else I’ve tried to add.

Originally posted by t0rin0You’re right, I must have blocked that experience from memory. It was such a pain in the ass to page through a couple thousand beers to find the one I had just added. Easier to just message an admin to fix it

_angst_
beers 5019 º places 97 º 17:02 Sun 12/21/2014

Originally posted by _angst_
#ratebeer - for stuff made for ratebeerians or ratebeer in general. For example milestone beers.
#session mead - for session strength meads like for example B Nektar Kill All The Golfers.
#vanilla stout - same as #chocolate stout or #coffee stout except vanilla.
#viola - for stuff made with viola flowers.

Oh, also:
#American Barley Wine
#English Barley Wine

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 17:07 Sun 12/21/2014

Either dm an admin or send in a bug if you want a tag added. We need an up to date admin list available to ratebeerians so they know who to bug
FWIW feel free to bug me for Scotland and Ireland issues.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 22:53 Sun 12/21/2014