Germany breweries learning the wrong things from the US?

Reads 2914 • Replies 50 • Started Saturday, January 31, 2015 9:52:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 09:52 Sat 1/31/2015

It seems some breweries are quick to jump on the barrel aged, wax topped, and/or large format bottles and charge ridiculous prices.

Case in point:
Brau Kunst Keller’s barrel aged stouts
with some wood block on them and wax dipped, 14€ for a 12oz, or is it a 33cl?, bottle.

sad:(

Lowenbrau
beers 5865 º places 432 º 10:51 Sat 1/31/2015

I guess German breweries are among the last ones to copy this hipster thing in beer... i love the german concept of beer as the folk getranke / people´s beverage and i hope they keep it as long as possible.

EdKing
beers 3662 º places 307 º 11:02 Sat 1/31/2015

What a bunch of Kunsts.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 11:19 Sat 1/31/2015

No one waits in line in the snow for good pilsner in this sad world of ours...

cheap
beers 8841 º places 328 º 11:23 Sat 1/31/2015

Originally posted by Lowenbrau
I guess German breweries are among the last ones to copy this hipster thing in beer...

wax topped, barrel aged -

we however have copied the corked and caged wine bottle thing - just as hipster

Reminyze
beers 8421 º places 237 º 11:36 Sat 1/31/2015

IMO, the BrauKunstKeller Imperial Stouts Whiskey/Tequilla/Rum/Bordeaux barrel aged are worth their money. Some plain Bock in 0,75l like the Moritz Fiege Character for 15€ is far more ridicolus.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 11:38 Sat 1/31/2015

Originally posted by cheap
Originally posted by Lowenbrau
I guess German breweries are among the last ones to copy this hipster thing in beer...

wax topped, barrel aged -

we however have copied the corked and caged wine bottle thing - just as hipster

What’s hipster about corked & caged bottles? They are used for carbonated/sparkling wines only. Beer is carbonated, so it would make perfect sense to use cork and caged bottles. It isn’t a gimmick, they are better for long term storing in my opinion. Capped beers will rust out over time and the seal could fail. Corks may dry out, but if you store them properly they should last decades. There is also something to be said for micro oxidation and maturing of wine and possibly beer/lambic as well.

Now it may be gimmicky for a brewery to use a cork & caged bottle on something that isn’t supposed to be saved for a long time. Like Ommegang Hennepin...

But you bring up a good point. If a brewery makes capped 12oz bottles like Saison Dupont and then c&c 750s, why not just make capped 750s? Who is really aging Saison Dupont?

Maybe I can see something there cheap...it’s worth a discussion.

cheap
beers 8841 º places 328 º 11:41 Sat 1/31/2015

Some aged barley wines I’ve had should have been in a corked bottle. You got me there!

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 12:27 Sat 1/31/2015

Originally posted by EdKing
What a bunch of Kunsts.
best forum post I’ve seen in years.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 12:31 Sat 1/31/2015

Seems they don’t have the IPA concept downpat either. Had a few hopless IPAs in Stuttgart a few weeks ago.
That said, Fritz is doing amazing IPAs, he’s light years ahead of his countrymen.

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 12:45 Sat 1/31/2015

Originally posted by McTapps
IMO, the BrauKunstKeller Imperial Stouts Whiskey/Tequilla/Rum/Bordeaux barrel aged are worth their money. Some plain Bock in 0,75l like the Moritz Fiege Character for 15€ is far more ridicolus.

I am not attacking the taste, I have had some of their beers and they are good. But 14€ for a 33cl bottle is insane. Maybe the wax and the wood block cost them 8€...

Look at what a bottle of bourbon county stout costs or a bottle of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, or in Europe Emelisse, De Molen and De Struise stouts are usually around 3-6€/33cl, are you telling me the Brau Kunst bottle is worth 8-9€ more???
That price per oz I can buy a bottle of Laphroaig Scotch.

I am really shocked you are defending it, and defending by showing how some breweries are even worse!

While at the beer store there were other barrel aged German stouts, aged 14months, Schonrammer, for 5€.