Please can you help?

Reads 606 • Replies 8 • Started Tuesday, February 24, 2015 3:27:53 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jamestulloch
beers 8638 º places 10 º 03:27 Tue 2/24/2015

Hi all,

A while ago I sent corrections for a few beers but the changes have yet to be made. Is there anyone here who is able to help by making these corrections?

I’m hoping to edit this page ( http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/odyssey-brothers/20593/). I’ve tried to edit it myself (I have admin rights for this brewery only) but I am unable to access the ’edit’ links by each of the three beers, as it just comes up with a blank screen. I’m unsure if the links are broken.

I’d like to change it so that all three beers are listed under the heading ’Brewed at Krafty Brew by/for Odyssey Brothers’ – just now it says ’Brewed at Odyssey Brothers by/for Krafty Brew’, which is incorrect.

I would also like ’Odyssey New World IPA’ to be changed to ’Odyssey Brothers New World IPA’.

If you can let me know how I should add new beers correctly in future so that they automatically come up as ’Brewed at Krafty Brew by/for Odyssey Brothers’ that will save me from sending in corrections again.

Cheers,

James

Marko
admin
beers 17890 º places 879 º 05:29 Tue 2/24/2015

Hey!

It just means a lack of editing rights. It might be that brewer rights were lowered because of frequent defacing of the site by brewers unable or unwilling to comprehend site rules (or thinking that they must be the same as on BA/Untappd) - mostly absolutely honest mistakes, but with exceptions unfortunately, which in the end mean that the "good guys" are suffering because of them.

Anyway, fixed, but there is an irritating site bug that popped up during the addition of pagination to the site that shows the alphabetically first contract brewed beer as brewed by the client brewer itself, even though the client-contract link is set up properly, so your Hundred Eyes Stout will look like that for some time & don’t worry about that. I’m sure, however, that our intrepid coders will fix it soon enough. :)

jamestulloch
beers 8638 º places 10 º 06:26 Tue 2/24/2015

Hi Marko,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly – I really appreciate it.

Your explanation is very clear and helpful.

I may have been blocked from editing as I tried several times (unsuccessfully) to make these changes.

Sorry to be a stickler, but is it possible to have the three beers listed as ’Brewed at Krafty Brew by/for Odyssey Brothers’ rather than ’Brewed at Krafty Brew’? It’s just that we don’t actually have a brewery, we do this at Krafty Brew at the moment. If not, that’s no problem, as I’m not 100% sure how to add new beers in this way.

I’ll look out for the Hundred Eyes Stout listing being fixed by the coders. :-)

Thanks again for your help with this!

James

Marko
admin
beers 17890 º places 879 º 07:34 Tue 2/24/2015

Ouch, it’s a complete mess. They are SUPPOSED to say "Brewed at Krafty Brew by/for Odyssey Brothers". All three of them. They are set up the same way - to look exactly like that... This is a new bug...

Damn, sorry about this. It should be a priority though.

jamestulloch
beers 8638 º places 10 º 08:02 Tue 2/24/2015

No problem at all - I found it confusing when I was trying to add them! Thanks so much for you help.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 10:11 Tue 2/24/2015

Maybe Marko should reference this when running his campaign for 2015 Admin of the Year?

bytemesis
beers 15343 º places 1600 º 10:12 Tue 2/24/2015

Originally posted by Marko
Ouch, it’s a complete mess. They are SUPPOSED to say "Brewed at Krafty Brew by/for Odyssey Brothers". All three of them. They are set up the same way - to look exactly like that... This is a new bug...

Damn, sorry about this. It should be a priority though.

Not sure it is an intentional change, but I would argue that the language "Brewed at Krafty Brew" on the Odyssey Brothers page is sufficient. The "by/for Odyssey Brothers" is implied by the fact that you are on that page. If you go to the Krafty Brew page, it says "by/for Odyssey Brothers," which is correct.

The other bug (first beer listed wrong) is known, and I believe Joe is on it now

jamestulloch
beers 8638 º places 10 º 10:39 Tue 2/24/2015

TheHOFF43 - He’s definitely got my vote.

bytemesis - I agree with you, ’Brewed at Krafty Brew’ is fine, but it was coming up before as ’Brewed at Odyssey Brother by/for Krafty Brew’ so presumably it can be in the same format but with the brewery names switched. Not too much of an issue if they just stay as ’Brewed at Krafty Brew’.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 13:47 Wed 2/25/2015

What bytemesis said.

When the client/contract thing was first set up it said "brewed at ... for ...". Obviously, there’s a wide range of levels of involvement with brewers (or "brewers") who don’t have their own kit. Some basically commission beers. Others actually rent time at the host brewery and do everything themselves. We can’t be sure of the level of involvement and there have been some "brewers" who have been less than truthful about the extent of their involvement. Some have even been known to pretend they have a physical brewery when they don’t.

The "by/for" wording covers all eventualities. It’s also the reason why the "client brewer" term is used. Those wandering brewers didn’t like the negative connotations attached to the term contract brew/er. So, for our purposes, the contract brewer is the location where the brewing takes place and the client brewer is the client, whatever their level of involvement.

"By/for" is only really necessary on the contract brewery page. The client brewer page probably only needs to show "brewed at" and only for beers that are not brewed on their own kit.

As Marko says the way things display is a bit messed up at the moment due to bugs arising from the changes recently made.