First Review Submitted

Reads 1226 • Replies 15 • Started Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:37:23 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

princepurple
beers 22 º 18:37 Sun 4/12/2015

Hi thanks to help I gained, on here, I managed to write my First Review which is for Guinness Golden Ale.

I’m not sure if I used to many words or if my overall consensus seem’s too juvenile, is there a certain art to making a review or will I simply get better With Age?

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 18:42 Sun 4/12/2015

The best reviews are the ones that help you to remember each beer you drank, and what you thought of them, and to help you decide whether you’d drink them again 1,000 beers from now. You are the best (and maybe the only) judge of that.

Welcome to the club.

princepurple
beers 22 º 18:47 Sun 4/12/2015

thanks, so you don’t think it matters what other reviewers think? ike more experienced people thinking mine is very naive and amateur?

Originally posted by princepurple
thanks, so you don’t think it matters what other reviewers think? ike more experienced people thinking mine is very naive and amateur?
Personally, I don’t know if I’ll ever get over that feeling- that my rates are just not "up to snuff." I’d wager many others have a similar feeling.

When I read 3fourths (a user here) for instance, I get the feeling that a) This guy really knows beer, and b) I don’t know squat. But, really, there’s all kinds of raters and rating styles, and you find/develop yours along the way. I may never be at the level of some of the top guys, but I feel more confident about rating than I did when I started back in 2008, or even more than I did in 2014.

After reading your first rating, I think you’re off to a good start. Add a few "friends" and start reading ratings (click on any users profile and find the green + button to "follow" someone). Look up the BJCP guidelines and check out the language used by beer judges (even if you don’t choose to go that route). Watch Michael Jackson (The Beer Hunter) videos on youtube, or read his many books- he’s a master of economy when it comes to talking about beer, and he’s a good starting point to learn about beer styles and history.

And... don’t forget to rate places! Take a look at place ratings from Travlr, T0rin0 and 3fourths (again). Personally, I think they are more important than beer rates (especially for those who beer travl).

Leighton
beers 33717 º places 1204 º 19:09 Sun 4/12/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Personally, I don’t know if I’ll ever get over that feeling- that my rates are just not "up to snuff." I’d wager many others have a similar feeling.

When I read 3fourths (a user here) for instance, I get the feeling that a) This guy really knows beer, and b) I don’t know squat. But, really, there’s all kinds of raters and rating styles, and you find/develop yours along the way. I may never be at the level of some of the top guys, but I feel more confident about rating than I did when I started back in 2008, or even more than I did in 2014.

After reading your first rating, I think you’re off to a good start. Add a few "friends" and start reading ratings (click on any users profile and find the green + button to "follow" someone). Look up the BJCP guidelines and check out the language used by beer judges (even if you don’t choose to go that route). Watch Michael Jackson (The Beer Hunter) videos on youtube, or read his many books- he’s a master of economy when it comes to talking about beer, and he’s a good starting point to learn about beer styles and history.

And... don’t forget to rate places! Take a look at place ratings from Travlr, T0rin0 and 3fourths (again). Personally, I think they are more important than beer rates (especially for those who beer travl).

Yep, that’s all true.

As you try more beers and write down your thoughts, you will develop your tastes and vocabulary and gain confidence in your ability to assess beers. Hopefully you are also educating yourself along the way.

RateBeer is, overall, a very open and friendly place. If you’re rating beers, learning and enjoying the experience, nobody will fault you.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 19:10 Sun 4/12/2015

you’ll need to reach your own comfort level, I still don’t feel great about my reviews, but it helps me remember a beer

rennat42
beers 5357 º places 205 º 19:20 Sun 4/12/2015

You do what’s good for you. I rate my beers to help me recall the exacts of what I had. Certainly not exciting to read but it’s good for me. Whereas my RB friend jbuskirk reviews in a style that is completely unlike mine but make for a much more exciting read. Write however you feel like writing. Here is an example of mine from the other night of a Jester King Gotslandricka:

And here is an example of my friend Jared’s

Completley different ways of reviewing and word choice but both adequate for each of us to remember what we’ve had.

princepurple
beers 22 º 19:22 Sun 4/12/2015

thank you all for your positive feedback and welcome feeling :)

rennat42
beers 5357 º places 205 º 19:23 Sun 4/12/2015

...And your first review looks great! Enjoy rating and reviewing! Cheers!

princepurple
beers 22 º 19:25 Sun 4/12/2015

yeah, gotta give my favourites Abbot, old empire, old speckled, hobgoblin and honey waggle dance.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 19:25 Sun 4/12/2015

Your opinion is the most important, I think. As long as they convey your impression of the beer, then you’re fine. Doesn’t matter if you rate something a 2.0 when everyone else thinks it’s a 4.0. Just call them as you see them.

A year from now, you might revisit old ratings when you drink a beer again, and you’ll see how far you’ve progressed.

And I guess, as long as you’re having fun doing it, that’s the main thing!