Southern Baptists & Microbreweries

Reads 1303 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:26:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beerinmeear
places 1 º 14:26 Wed 4/15/2015

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 14:29 Wed 4/15/2015

Also there was an overlap map a few years ago that correlated Diabetes w/ people who own passports.

The south has more cases of diabetes and way less passports compared to the rest of the country and the correlation was really strikingly similar.

Travel doesn’t cure diabetes but well-traveled people generally approach life a bit better. I would never move back to the south.

http://boingboing.net/2011/03/08/passport-ownership-p.html

b3shine
beers 12184 º places 372 º 14:44 Wed 4/15/2015

Kind of funny that an economist overlooked earned income per capita and opted to focus on religion.

beerinmeear
places 1 º 15:08 Wed 4/15/2015

Originally posted by b3shine
Kind of funny that an economist overlooked earned income per capita and opted to focus on religion.
But not at all surprising.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 15:46 Wed 4/15/2015

the numbers looks like they’re out of date. RB lists 10 active breweries in WV, not including one contract brewer and a handful of cider and mead producers. the article reports 5.

that’s just on one spot check. changes like that would radically alter the list.

the conclusion I reach is that there aren’t enough economists in West Virginia...

b3shine
beers 12184 º places 372 º 16:02 Wed 4/15/2015

Originally posted by beerinmeear
it’s not necessarily the richest states with the most breweries per capita

No, but the poorest (which are heavily concentrated in the south) have among the lowest number of craft breweries per capita (per your link).

Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by beerinmeear
it’s not necessarily the richest states with the most breweries per capita

No, but the poorest (which are heavily concentrated in the south) have among the lowest number of craft breweries per capita (per your link).
I’d also wonder what the statistics on liquor sales per capita looked like. As a Kentuckian, most of my friends who don’t get into beer sure love their Bourbon...

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 17:15 Wed 4/15/2015

When your religion’s founder drank enough wine that some people falsely accused him of being a drunkard, turned water into wine, and commanded people to drink wine in memory of him; but your denomination bans the consumption of alcohol, I’ve got to think that’s a sign your denomination has some issues. ;)

Some of them say Jesus drank grape juice, but since grape juice was invented in the 19th century and Jesus lived in the 1st century, I’m going to have to say no to that one. ;) Besides, why would people at the wedding feast at Cana have commented that the hosts were saving their best wine for last if Jesus had actually just turned water into grape juice? I can’t imagine people raving about non-alcoholic grape juice being better than wine. ;) Besides, the established custom referenced in the bible was that people served their best wine first and their worst wine at the end of feasts and such. Why? Because people were drunk by the end and quality was less important than at the beginning. It was wine. W-I-N-E. With alcohol. :)

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh. I probably would be a bit less brutal if I thought anti-alcohol Southern Baptists were actually reading this. But I’ve got to assume that if you’re on ratebeer, you either aren’t Southern Baptist, or you are Southern Baptist but disagree with your denomination’s stance on alcohol. So I think I’m safe from offending people on this one. :)

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 18:08 Wed 4/15/2015

Around here they say you always have to take TWO baptists with you if you go fishing. If you just take one, he’ll drink all of your beer.

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 18:19 Wed 4/15/2015

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
Around here they say you always have to take TWO baptists with you if you go fishing. If you just take one, he’ll drink all of your beer.

Protestants don’t recognize the pope as the head of the church, the Jews don’t recognize Jesus as the savior and baptists don’t recognize each other in the liquor store.