Stone Ruination vs. Ruination 2.0

Reads 1614 • Replies 9 • Started Friday, May 15, 2015 7:25:18 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

LinusStick
beers 3741 º places 66 º 19:25 Fri 5/15/2015

I see the new version is scoring high and am curious as to individual thoughts on this beer? The original Ruination was very unique. Love it or hate it, it tasted different than any other IIPA out there. So grossly unbalanced and very aggressive. People who don’t like hoppy beers could barely take two sips. The new version is like a neutered tamed offshoot that tastes like a lot of the other IIPAs and IPAs out there. Nothing special and sadly balanced. My wife cringed at just smelling the original and took one sip once years ago and would not entertain the possibility of trying it again. She took a sip of 2.0 tonight and said it "wasn’t too bad" and asked me to get her a bottle to see if she could finish it. In a nut shell I don’t think it’s a terrible beer, just terribly average.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 19:28 Fri 5/15/2015

Stone brews good beer, but they are masters at marketing.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 19:43 Fri 5/15/2015

with all the HUGE double, triple, octuple buttplug IPAs out there, I kinda figured it wouldn’t be groundbreakingly aggressive. But DAMN, do I LOVE it. One of the best deals out there at less than 2.50 per 12 oz.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 19:50 Fri 5/15/2015

I was disappointed in 2.0 but there wasn’t any of the old on the shelf or I would have done a side by side. I might find some in Knoxville. I’m interested if it’s a change in my palate or the beer itself. I used to drink a lot of Ruination when it was $4.50. At $9 I won’t drink much of either the old or the new.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 20:49 Fri 5/15/2015

Haven’t tried the 2.0 today, but I would be surprised if it was that much different than Green Flash West Coast IPA when it changed about a year ago or so. Not many people commented on that change, but I really really didn’t appreciate the change (I am clearly in the minority if you look at the scores). I did try an Old WCIPA vs. New WCIPA and the Old kicked its ass.

In general though, I dont understand why these breweries think they need to crank the ABV to make better beers? I like Ruin at 7.7% is great.

Tim

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 21:07 Fri 5/15/2015

is there a ruinationdad on ratebeer?

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 21:10 Fri 5/15/2015

Originally posted by TimE
Haven’t tried the 2.0 today, but I would be surprised if it was that much different than Green Flash West Coast IPA when it changed about a year ago or so. Not many people commented on that change, but I really really didn’t appreciate the change (I am clearly in the minority if you look at the scores). I did try an Old WCIPA vs. New WCIPA and the Old kicked its ass.

In general though, I dont understand why these breweries think they need to crank the ABV to make better beers? I like Ruin at 7.7% is great.

Tim

reminds me of myself drining around Boston buying up the last of the bottle conditioned DFH 90 minute, it was better than the new 90 minute

spacecoyote
21:33 Fri 5/15/2015

I love the new recipes.

So far I’ve tried the Ruination and Pale Ale in their 2.0 incarnations, both are fantastic.

smith4498
beers 4285 º places 20 º 10:16 Sat 5/16/2015

I stopped buying the original b/c it was $17 a sixer (and it sat around on the shelves). I bought a sixer of the 2.0 b/c it was $13 (and fresh). Tasted pretty damn good.

ChazMania
beers 669 º places 13 º 11:54 Sat 5/16/2015

I like 2.0 alot and it is nice to see 6pk at same price as what the 4pk used to be. I also agree TimE above, the original Green Flash WCIPA was the benchmark- killer at 7.3%, I greatly miss that beer. I bought the new version once and won’t buy it or the amped up HopHeadRed again.