Travel to Cote d’Azur

Reads 867 • Replies 9 • Started Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:44:32 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MarkoNm
beers 6151 º places 385 º 15:44 Sat 6/21/2014

Hi!

I’ll be visiting the French Riviera this summer (staying in Antibes and St. Raphael) and I’m wondering what are some nice places to find some fine beers?

I’m also a countries ticker, so I’m wondering if there are some country ticks (like exotic countries - Africa and Asia) to find down there?

Also, one more question. Does anyone have some experience with Au Palais des Bieres (from Aix-Les-Bains)? They have some nice new countries there, and I was wondering how to get them, since they do not deliver to my country, Slovenia. Any ideas (trades also welcome)?

Thanks a lot

MarkoNm
beers 6151 º places 385 º 10:43 Sun 6/22/2014

Actually, if someone can access the store and is willing to make a trade for some Slovenian beers (Pelicon, Bevog, Laško, Union)
I was looking at the following ones:

- Tomos Watkin Magic Lagyr
- Whitewater Belfast Lager
- Angkor Premium (Camnodia)
- Corsaire Blonde (Guadeloupe)
- Einstok Pale Ale (Iceland)
- Lorraine (Martinique)
- La Gazelle (Senegal)

If interested, message me

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 11:01 Sun 6/22/2014

In France you can check the African grocery stores, they often carry African beers; search here on RB for Guinness, you will see that a few of those countries are entitled to have a separate entry.

Larger cities like Marseille may be easier for this kind of hunt.
I doubt you can spot the grocery stores on Google, you should identify the African neighborhood and walk around.

Also check restaurants from the "colonies", like Mauritius, Reunion, Madagascar, Pacific islands etc... they may carry a beer as well (I found the Reunion and Senegal ticks in France by going to the right restaurant).

MarkoNm
beers 6151 º places 385 º 11:18 Sun 6/22/2014

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try this, although in the smaller Antibes will be harder to find something. If no trade goes through, I’ll try this anyway.

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 01:05 Mon 6/23/2014

As fiulijn says, for country ticks your best bet is to visit African restaurants. For example, I got my La Gazelle tick in an African restaurant in Marseille. Most African (or even Asian) specialty shops carry strange country ticks. Just recently we got a couple of African country ticks in a South-African restaurant in Paris.

For beer in general in the South of France, see the other two topics in the French forum on visitors to Toulouse and Norbonne: it will be hard to find interesting stuff. Hell, if you really want a special country tick, you might as well do Monte Carlo. :D

MarkoNm
beers 6151 º places 385 º 01:44 Mon 6/23/2014

Thanks, I’ll try that. Not sure how I’ll manage with the time, but we’ll see. I’ll be passing through Monaco, so it would be a crime not to stop for a drink at least (and a tick).
Well, maybe I’ll be lucky and some nice French beer lover (with access to the shop Au Palais...) will consider trading me.

Thanks for the tips again

MarkoNm
beers 6151 º places 385 º 23:36 Mon 6/30/2014

Does anyone know any specific shops (which sell this African beers or other countries), or where to find them in Antibes. St. Raphael or Nice?

Nisse666
beers 15340 º places 372 º 14:10 Fri 7/4/2014

Found this in à window of à chinese shop:
Réunion › Brasserie de Bourbon (Heineken)>Bourbon
In Perpignon - but the owner was on holiday till end of July;(

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 16:21 Fri 7/4/2014

Yeah that’s not terribly uncommon. I still have to get one. France had some fun country tick for sure.

Nisse666
beers 15340 º places 372 º 10:29 Sat 7/5/2014

Aha found two variants of above in Narbonne;)