Trip to Bamberg

Reads 3435 • Replies 42 • Started Sunday, April 5, 2015 5:48:22 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 17:48 Sun 4/5/2015

I am finally getting the chance to visit Bamberg this summer, likely for 3 nights and will have a car. Do you all have any recommendations as to breweries/kellers that are not to be missed? I certainly plan on hitting Mahr’s, Spezial, and Schlenkerla in town, but any information about other phenomenal places in the surrounding area would be extraordinarily appreciated. Especially helpful would be places that maybe don’t have enough ratings to get high up the list on Ratebeer Places. I’m definitely hoping to track down Witzgall Landbier, for example, but other great spots for authentic German styles would be great. Same goes for those you think are underrated, as there are so many breweries in the 70s and 80s in that part of the country I would love to parse through the options a bit. Thank you and cheers!

nuplastikk
beers 9843 º places 73 º 20:51 Sun 4/5/2015

Klosterbrau is a must. Bambergs oldest operating brewery I believe. Solid beers. There is supposedly a pretty cool bottle bar on the other side of the city, walking distance from the train station.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 20:59 Sun 4/5/2015

Very cool, thanks!

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 01:26 Mon 4/6/2015

Hit the tourist office there is a very cool beer package guide at the office. We stayed at Spezial for a week and loved it two door up from the laundrymat if you need it. If you can go on the Wyermann Malt tour very cool. Skip the highly rated crappy bottle place go revisit your favourite brewery again it will be way more fun. There is another thread about Franconia that has a lot of answers to the questions you are asking. You won’t need a car if you are just staying in Bamberg even the furthest pub is only a short walk.

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 01:26 Mon 4/6/2015

olsvammel
beers 8486 º places 177 º 02:40 Mon 4/6/2015

When are you visiting Bamberg? Me, my father and some friends are going to drive down for 3 nights. We will arrive on the 29th of June. I’ve gotten a ton of tips from Gerhard (Abseits) and Janko (swedish beer profile). There is a thread in the german forum you can check out (it’s in english).

jorge76
beers 24 º places 452 º 05:08 Mon 4/6/2015

Hi ! If this is your first trip to bamberg I would visit even Keesman for a Herren pils just in front of Mahrs Brau and Fassla in front of Spezial .. I would avoid Ambrosianum that is quite useless in a city like bamberg but it is next door to schlenkerla so you decide .. Around the town there are many excellent brewery that worth a visit .. Zehendner for their lager , Ott for their pils , Elch for their pils , Heckel for their voll bier and the medieval ambience , roppelt ( not far from witzgal ) , kundmüller , metzger Brau in uetzing for their malty beer and special background of the brewery and there would be many others .. I strongly raccomand the cafe abseits for the great selection and the the storekelder for the great beers from my friend Ganstaller .. Obviously don’t miss all the fantastic Keller ( beer garden ) in bamberg and around that are a very nice experience .. I think 3 days for the first visit are not going enough ;)

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 06:02 Mon 4/6/2015

Fassla, directly across the street from Spezial.

If you haven’t found a place to stay, look into staying at Fassla. They have rooms above the pub. They are inexpensive, nice, and they provide breakfast. It took me a couple emails to get through to them and get the room reserved, and they don’t speak great English when you get there, but the place was perfect. I believe they have parking, too, but I didn’t have a car so I can’t be 100% sure.

Leighton
beers 33718 º places 1204 º 06:27 Mon 4/6/2015

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Fassla, directly across the street from Spezial.

If you haven’t found a place to stay, look into staying at Fassla. They have rooms above the pub. They are inexpensive, nice, and they provide breakfast. It took me a couple emails to get through to them and get the room reserved, and they don’t speak great English when you get there, but the place was perfect. I believe they have parking, too, but I didn’t have a car so I can’t be 100% sure.

I will second Fassla. Great location, good value, clean.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 06:36 Mon 4/6/2015

My first trip ever to this part of the country as a tourist was 4 nights in Bamberg, and we never got out of the city on that trip, there’s just that much to see, do, & drink, and it’s just that beautiful.

But there is the Kellercountry around the village of Hallerndorf and the Kellerwald on the outskirts of Forchheim which could offer a lovely drunk day’s outing. The latter is dependent on the timing though, much better on a Sunday than during the week.

Or Geisfeld and Buttenheim, preferably the other way round, owing to opening times at the impossibly beautiful Griess Keller.

jorge76
beers 24 º places 452 º 07:06 Mon 4/6/2015

Good one Nick .. Geisfeld is a must visit place both for Krug and Griess ...