UK Travel Plans, Autumn 2016

Reads 3518 • Replies 49 • Started Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:46:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 15:46 Tue 5/31/2016

My airfare is purchased but trying to narrow down an itinerary. We arrive at 12:00 on Wednesday and leave Saturday the next week.

My tentative plans are to take a train immediately to York for two nights; followed by three nights in Edinburgh, and a flight to London early Monday morning. I want to go to Scotland, but feel like we do not have the time for it this trip. I was overruled.

I have been to London before, but this will be the first time for my wife. Is this a good itinerary? Any suggestions; beer; cycling, food, would be appreciated.

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 16:16 Tue 5/31/2016

In York I remember really liking The Maltings right next to the train station. York Brewery is also interesting if you are into brewery tours. Also liked Brigantes, which is a bit more modern.

Mind you, this was almost 10 years ago...

Leighton
beers 33717 º places 1204 º 16:33 Tue 5/31/2016

It’s pretty quick to travel to/from Scotland (Edinburgh) and back south (e.g. to London).

If beer is going to figure as any part of your trip, London should be a stop.

No smaller towns or villages? I’d want to hit a country pub, personally.

jamestulloch
beers 8620 º places 10 º 17:27 Tue 5/31/2016

That sounds like a great itinery.

You won’t regret a trip to Edinburgh - it’s a stunning city, easy to navigate and has a very good beer scene.

As for Edinburgh pubs I would recommend: The Hanging Bat (probably the best beer bar in Edinburgh), Andrew Usher’s (a close second, good house beers), Cask & Barrel Southside (good cask beer, nice setting) and Guildford Arms (very central, lovely setting).

My recommended Edinburgh restaurants (in order of cheap to expensive): Wild Wood (for breakfast/brunch), Three Birds (small restaurant, good service, amazing food) and Timberyard (VERY expensive but delicious food and good beer).

In my opinion, the best coffee you can get is from Brew Lab. Well worth the trip. Wellington Coffee is also good but their unit is so small that you really need to take away.

There are many excellent bottle shops. The ones I’d recommend are: The Beerhive, Cornelius, Appellation Wines (Dalry), Cork & Cask, Bottle Baron and Great Grog.

I’m not really into cycling but I believe the Pentland Hills (just south of Edinburgh) are worth exploring.

As Leighton says, travel to Edinburgh from anywhere in England is pretty easy.

Let me know if you have any specific Edinburgh-related questions. I’m sure you will enjoy your three nights here.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 18:20 Tue 5/31/2016

I’d try to get a night in Manchester when in Yorkshire but York, Edinburgh & London certainly in top ten beer cities in UK

cgarvieuk
beers 37621 º places 457 º 01:03 Wed 6/1/2016

Originally posted by JK
My airfare is purchased but trying to narrow down an itinerary. We arrive at 12:00 on Wednesday and leave Saturday the next week.

My tentative plans are to take a train immediately to York for two nights; followed by three nights in Edinburgh, and a flight to London early Monday morning. I want to go to Scotland, but feel like we do not have the time for it this trip. I was overruled.

I have been to London before, but this will be the first time for my wife. Is this a good itinerary? Any suggestions; beer; cycling, food, would be appreciated.

If you do make Edinburgh, be good to meet up :-)
either in a pub or i can hold a tasting.

Id add that pub wise. The Bow bar and Cloisters are very nice Traditional UK pubs with a good selection, and for me are a clear 2nd and 3rd place after the Hanging Bat.

As for Cycling theres Off Road Glentress near by, and
for just cycling round edinburgh, this might be worth seeking out
http://www.spokes.org.uk/spokes-maps/

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:53 Wed 6/1/2016

York is a very fine choice. Book your train tickets as far in advance as you can as you’ll save a lot of money. As an example I could get an advance ticket from London to York for as little as £11.40 but if I bought a ticket today for travel today it would cost me £94.80.

Originally posted by chriso
York is a very fine choice. Book your train tickets as far in advance as you can as you’ll save a lot of money. As an example I could get an advance ticket from London to York for as little as £11.40 but if I bought a ticket today for travel today it would cost me £94.80.

Do they still do those cheap rail passes in the US for visitors to the UK. I know my American ex girlfriends mother bought a pass in the US and it saved her a fortune.

Stop in Birmingham for an hour in between London and York and I will buy you a pint.

Stuu666
beers 28627 º places 492 º 07:46 Wed 6/1/2016

The only bar I’d add that James and Craig haven’t already covered is the newly opened Salthorse. Doubles as a bottle shop too.