Unapologetically: Coors > Urquell

Reads 7379 • Replies 55 • Started Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:33:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 19:31 Sat 5/22/2010

I agree with Jim Tucker that Pilsner Urquell, in can format, has become questionable. And the last time I had it on tap was a train-wreck. I KNOW this beer (in its legit form) from my travels in CZ 15 years ago, and over here it completely lacks the pretty floral 3-D hop signature with subtle mineral under-notes,,, what’s going on with this beer, Jim?

I even think slightly tired bottles from the late ’80’s still had a class and elegance that all PU now lacks entirely.

Discover your local micro lagers!

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 19:43 Sat 5/22/2010

Is my name now Jim Tucker?

Someone recently kept calling me Joel.

For the record, I’ve had Urquell on tap around here and it wasn’t as bad. I was very positively surprised by Coors though. I have retried beers by another macro brewer and time after time have been disappointed by obvious and pervasive flaws. I was not expecting anything from this can of Coors other than the abused hop flavors that I thought made the beer what it was.

There are pictures of me with a Coors in my hand (as a boy) from 1982. The beer was essentially the same as late as 2002. Now it’s very different. And it’s pretty good.

Another beer at Ken’s amazing tasting (Ken you are a wonderful host) was Two Women Lager from New Glarus. DerWeg’s term, "3D hop signature", seems to fit my impression of what Dan Carey was able to impart with this one. The thing about smaller beers is that there’s less there to obfuscate excellent hops - especially in clean lagers.

That beer plain and simple - blew me away. I was able to appreciate delicate gossamer floral characteristics of Hallertauers that I didn’t even know existed before this beer.

bobinlondon
beers 1298 º places 14 º 08:22 Sun 5/23/2010

I drank PU in communist CZ during the 80’s when it was still lagered in the wood. I have yet to find a better session beer and consider the current mutation(s) to be a joke. (Not unlike Coors).

Stellaaaa
beers 297 º 09:31 Sun 5/23/2010

Originally posted by cheapdark
uh-oh, I sense a relaxing of the rudeness and mean spiritedness against macros on the horizon!

I’ll be honest, most macros aren’t that bad. Sure, they’re lowest common denominator and generic, but then again lots of European pilsners are too. I’ve quite frankly had "craft" beers and overpriced Belgian imports that were disgusting, yet for what it’s worth only one or two macros that I can absolutely say I would never drink again.

They’re the fast food of beer, but hell, sometimes a McDouble just sounds better than a steak.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 11:18 Sun 5/23/2010

Well it’s Coors v Sab Miller Pilsner Urquell!

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 11:19 Sun 5/23/2010

Originally posted by Gazza
From the can, I’d guess it was the Polish or Russian version making it even worse (and less authentic!) than the original.

Even in Plzen it’s not a good beer IMO, just way too industrial in taste, although I know a lot of people like it.

Man, someone understands me! +!

cheap
beers 8847 º places 328 º 11:35 Sun 5/23/2010

Originally posted by Stellaaaa
Originally posted by cheapdark
uh-oh, I sense a relaxing of the rudeness and mean spiritedness against macros on the horizon!

I’ll be honest, most macros aren’t that bad. Sure, they’re lowest common denominator and generic, but then again lots of European pilsners are too. I’ve quite frankly had "craft" beers and overpriced Belgian imports that were disgusting, yet for what it’s worth only one or two macros that I can absolutely say I would never drink again.

They’re the fast food of beer, but hell, sometimes a McDouble just sounds better than a steak.

I’ll say big mac, but even so, I bet the macro you’d never drink again was from melanie brewing!

Cornfield
beers 5569 º places 143 º 15:58 Sun 5/23/2010

A Pale Lager and a Pils..... Which is the apple and which is the orange?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 16:19 Sun 5/23/2010

Originally posted by Cornfield
A Pale Lager and a Pils..... Which is the apple and which is the orange?

A pils is a pale lager so you’re kind of asking, if I can rephrase that for you, which is the pome and which is the pear.

But because we’re talking specifics here, and considering the flavor profiles are heavily overlapping and the lager yeast differences between the two being minuscule, you’re mostly talking Bartlett versus Comice, which is a fair and manageable comparison for most people.

Cornfield
beers 5569 º places 143 º 16:54 Sun 5/23/2010

It sounds like they should be in the same style category, Jim.