Upcoming Boulevard release schedule

Reads 1446 • Replies 20 • Started Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:32:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 22:32 Wed 11/30/2011

Just thought folks here would find this interesting. From Binny’s blog (not even a local bottle shop!):

October – Harvest Dance Wheat Wine

November – Bourbon-Barrel Quad

January – Rye-on-Rye

February – Chocolate Ale

May – Reverb Imperial Pilsner

June – Saison-Brett

July – Collaboration #3

TBD – Love Child #2

Full post is here:
http://binnys.com/blogs/post.cfm/what-s-on-deck-from-boulevard

Gregis
beers 1281 º places 24 º 04:32 Thu 12/1/2011

Is Reverb a second bottling of the recipe used in the Orval collaboration? I’m hoping so... really good stuff (fresh).

JohnF
06:03 Thu 12/1/2011

A guy commented on kcbeerblog that he had a friend at the event where this info came out and the Reverb is based on Collaboration 1 but not exactly the same. My hope is that they make it more bitter, especially as a summer seasonal.

HomeBrewHawk
beers 464 º places 22 º 13:23 Thu 12/1/2011

There’s a Love Child label over at BeerNews.org.

http://bit.ly/s1Qm9F

beastiefan2k
beers 5014 º places 294 º 13:52 Thu 12/1/2011

Originally posted by HomeBrewHawk
There’s a Love Child label over at BeerNews.org.

http://bit.ly/s1Qm9F

nice, looks like this listing needs updating
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-love-child-1/155450/

I love the back label.

Looks like there wont be a lot of these going around I sure hope they keep the 1400 bottles to KS/MO only

JohnF
14:17 Thu 12/1/2011

Not sure if this is normal as beernews usually only posts the front label but the back label has the phrase "not for resale" in the space that usually has a sku. Wine and Cheese Place had the image for the Chocolate Ale back label before it came out (presumably the submitted label) and it did have a sku. That makes me wonder if this will retail but I’m not really sure what if any implications there are to that image.

hwwty4
beers 1 º places 1 º 15:00 Thu 12/1/2011

Originally posted by JohnF
Not sure if this is normal as beernews usually only posts the front label but the back label has the phrase "not for resale" in the space that usually has a sku. Wine and Cheese Place had the image for the Chocolate Ale back label before it came out (presumably the submitted label) and it did have a sku. That makes me wonder if this will retail but I’m not really sure what if any implications there are to that image.

It also says "Flavored Ale in TX" on the back. They had to do that to get TABC approval. I cant imagine them stamping that on the back unless its going to go retail.

JohnF
16:23 Thu 12/1/2011

Good point. The other thing I thought is that if it’s not going to retail (planned for beer dinners, whatever), there isn’t much point in bottling it in the first place. Where is Danner when you need him?

JohnF
17:21 Thu 12/1/2011

Per Brad at Royal (via twitter):

"OK, official word is Boulevard has no plans for love child before 2013. The label approval is a legal issue for sampling"

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 18:57 Thu 12/1/2011

So, what you’re saying is that this is not the actual release schedule.

That would make sense, since BBQ says "November". Obviously that didn’t happen.

TheJermis
11:59 Mon 12/5/2011

Hey guys, I was out of town for an event in Iowa, but want to help clear some of this up (as much as I can).

As far as Love Child goes, Pat posted a release from Julie Weeks over on the KC Beer Blog. It discusses the future of what’s being called Love Child #1 at this point. There are two other Love Children that folks may have tasted as well. We’ve served Love Child #2, draft only, at festivals, beer dinners, and rare beer tastings so far. There’s also a Love Child #3 that exists in an even smaller amount than 1 or 2 that will likely be shared in the same manner as the other two. An actual public release of a beer in the Love Child series is in the works, but as you guys know, it’s nearly impossible to establish a timeline for a barrel aged sour beer. We’ve only been barrel aging beers a few years now and souring them is something completely new to us so we want to take the time to make sure we do it right. I hope you understand that these beers take time and we will (hopefully) release them when they are in their prime condition.

To answer the question from John about the point of bottling these, I can’t really say there was any strategic thought involved there. We had some barrels that we’d been souring and tasting here and there. We tasted some of them one day and decided they were exactly where we wanted them to be so we kegged some and bottled some. Love Child #1 is the result of a blend of several barrels and #2 and #3 are both single barrels. We thought it would be cool to have some kegs and some bottles. Turns out, we were right. It’s been nice to show up with a couple bottles for some tasting events and it’s been necessary to have a few gallons on draft at other events.

As far as this year’s release of Bourbon Barrel Quad goes, once again, this is a barrel aged beer and while we can approximate a timeline for release, it’s not always possible to strictly adhere to it.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. I wanted to make sure that I had the correct information to share. Please let me know if this helps or if you have more questions. I’ll do my best to share what I can.