Vaguely twixt Peterborough and London

Reads 995 • Replies 13 • Started Tuesday, August 18, 2015 9:24:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 09:24 Tue 8/18/2015

On 29th Anna and I will leave Peterborough (after 5 days of beer festival), on 31st we need to be in London (for a 2-day pub-crawl). Does anyone have any suggestions of easy-to-reach beer-worthy, and possible tourist-combinable, destinations for the Saturday night to Monday morning? We will already have convincingly done Cambridge (4 days of beer drinking in preparation for P’boro).

As you can see from http://www.ratebeer.com/breweries/cambridgeshire/68/240/ , we do slightly over-do the Cambridgeshire thing whilst in the UK, some variation might be welcome. Something that helps us creep towards London would be perfect.

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 09:40 Tue 8/18/2015

St Albans looks your best bet for new bars and beers: never been myself, but looks and sound OK from what I’ve read and heard.

A detour to Norwich would also fit the bill.

<*))))))><

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 10:16 Tue 8/18/2015

I’m assuming you’re travelling by train. St Albans is not on the same line as Peterborough so you have to come in to London and go out again. Also, because Peterborough is on the East Coast Main Line, they never seem to feel the need to discount train tickets from there to London.

I was going to suggest the Norwich option. Plenty of beer interest and plenty of tourist stuff too. Just had a quick glance and it looks like you can get a direct train from Peterborough to Norwich on the 29th for as little as £5. I say "was going to" because, unfortunately there seems to be a bus service between Ipswich & Colchester on the way to London on the 31st, (no doubt due to engineering works involving Ken’s beloved Abellio Greater Anglia trains) that bumps up the journey time/adds inconvenience.

Hippoman
beers 645 º places 12 º 10:28 Tue 8/18/2015

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
St Albans looks your best bet for new bars and beers: never been myself, but looks and sound OK from what I’ve read and heard.

A detour to Norwich would also fit the bill.

<*))))))><

The Boot in the centre is well worth a visit if you do decide on St. Albans.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 11:21 Tue 8/18/2015

Leicester, Northampton or St Albans from a beer point of view.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 11:31 Tue 8/18/2015

We’ve been once to Narch and it certainly looked like a place with some potential, but as it was a flying BF visit, we investigated nowt. And that was over 15 years ago.

Definitely shortlisted - thanks!

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 14:32 Tue 8/18/2015

If there’s one thing I like almost as much as beers, it’s cathedrals - so Norwich it is.

However, oh dear, it looks like I won’t be leaving on monday in a rush: http://www.dukeofwellingtonnorwich.co.uk/Beer_Festival.html

Should I keep hunting for something less than 65 squid a night, as that’s the cheapest room I can find currently?

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 15:25 Tue 8/18/2015

Could try B&Bs

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 16:41 Tue 8/18/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
Could try B&Bs

Alas the internet is failing me (mostly because a very small number of portals dominate the room-booking market), so I’ve just banked what I could find. Wayhay - new place ticks ahoy!

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 18:33 Tue 8/18/2015

Originally posted by FatPhil
Should I keep hunting for something less than 65 squid a night, as that’s the cheapest room I can find currently?

We were there a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Travelodge Central Riverside - usefully central if not exactly riverside - which was the cheapest convenient option we could find and perfectly acceptable. About 60 quid I think.

We made a list of / guide to the pubs I can send you if you like. Or I could put it on Google docs if more convenient.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 02:11 Wed 8/19/2015

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by FatPhil

We were there a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Travelodge Central Riverside - usefully central if not exactly riverside - which was the cheapest convenient option we could find and perfectly acceptable. About 60 quid I think.

We made a list of / guide to the pubs I can send you if you like. Or I could put it on Google docs if more convenient.

I’m using a legacy browser which can’t view google docs with its new-fangled wanky javas cript demands - if you could just paste a list here, that would be great - thanks!