Waterproof travel pouches for suitcases

Reads 424 • Replies 10 • Started Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:27:53 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

dogfish120love
beers 1339 º places 18 º 06:27 Tue 9/20/2016

Hello,

I’ll be traveling in Europe next week and I’ll of course be bringing beer to trade. I plan on bringing about 10-15 cans (16oz) and I’m looking for a waterproof pouch to put them in my suitcase. The last thing I want is my trip to be filled with beer soaked clothes. If anyone has a lightweight solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Brian

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 06:35 Tue 9/20/2016

Zip loc bag with rubber bands holding the bags in place would work. 1 bag per can/bottle.

rennat42
beers 5363 º places 205 º 07:06 Tue 9/20/2016

Kind of expensive for what it is but just for that extra measure, I’ve always liked using these to seal my already ziplocked baggied bottles. Then again, ask most and they’ll probably tell you I am overly cautious when I pack beer. I can get 2 bombers, or about 4 single bottles, or 6 cans in these and they’ve seen some rough baggage handling and I’ve never had the slightest issue.

http://giftedgrape.com/bubble-bottle-pack-for-wine-travel-two-bottle/?gclid=CJ6qkYbznc8CFQODaQodXsYEfw

They have a few different options too. I usually buy them on Amazon though.

Travlr
beers 33915 º places 4597 º 07:11 Tue 9/20/2016

I use ziploc bags and/or put the whole beer stash into a trash bag and tape it closed. Never had a breakaway leak, and I have had one can explode in the suitcase

dogfish120love
beers 1339 º places 18 º 07:36 Tue 9/20/2016

Thanks everyone! All great ideas.

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 15:10 Tue 9/20/2016

Besides protecting my beer, I always put my clothes in plastic bags

Nothing fancy, usually the hotel laundry bags are large enough to be folded (so it doesn’t require tape)
Won’t help if your suitcase sinks in the ocean, but if there are just few ounces of beer spilling, it will keep it away from clothes.

dogfish120love
beers 1339 º places 18 º 16:30 Tue 9/20/2016

Originally posted by fiulijn
Besides protecting my beer, I always put my clothes in plastic bags

Nothing fancy, usually the hotel laundry bags are large enough to be folded (so it doesn’t require tape)
Won’t help if your suitcase sinks in the ocean, but if there are just few ounces of beer spilling, it will keep it away from clothes.

Also, a really solid idea. Plus, protects my clothes from my ratty suitcase

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 17:05 Tue 9/20/2016

I have a friend at work who is going back home to Zimbabwe for a few weeks and has told me she will bring me back a selection of beers. I suppose I should provide her with zip bags as well as bubble wrap.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 17:38 Tue 9/20/2016

Using travlr and/or fiulijn’s advice should set you up pretty well. Combine for extra protection.

I generally try to do the beer in the trash bag method, but sometimes I’m ill-prepared and just roll the dice wrapping them in bubble wrap or even just clothes if I’m really desperate. Only one time did I end up doing laundry in the hotel bathroom sink. I blame Air Berlin for giving me grief about being a couple of kg over the weight limit and making me shift things around/slam a couple beers in the check-in line.

Travlr
beers 33915 º places 4597 º 17:39 Tue 9/20/2016

Originally posted by brokensail
Combining travlr and/or fiulijn’s advice should set you up pretty well. I generally try to do the beer in the trash bag method, but sometimes I’m ill-prepared and just roll the dice. And sometimes I’ll end up doing laundry in the bathroom sink at the little hotel room in Dusseldorf.

saves money on cologne anyway....

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 18:23 Tue 9/20/2016

Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by brokensail
Combining travlr and/or fiulijn’s advice should set you up pretty well. I generally try to do the beer in the trash bag method, but sometimes I’m ill-prepared and just roll the dice. And sometimes I’ll end up doing laundry in the bathroom sink at the little hotel room in Dusseldorf.

saves money on cologne anyway....

Terrible.