Westvleteren 12?

Reads 2005 • Replies 10 • Started Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:27:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Phier
09:27 Tue 1/17/2012

Hey,

Wondering if there’s anywhere reasonably close to Berlin that occasionally stocks this, or would i be better off getting it delivered from Belgium? If so, who would be the cheapest option?

Cheers.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 23:31 Tue 1/17/2012

Good luck finding any Belgian beer at all outside of bierzwerg.de and of course bierkompass.de. Westvleteren 12? Book a trip to Westvleteren.

(Am I right?)

Erzengel
beers 14471 º places 109 º 10:46 Wed 1/18/2012

Yes, you are :-) - The "standard" Belgium beers (like Westmalle, Lindemans, etc.) can be found in Berlin, but there is no shop in Germany selling Westvleteren. And: A trip to Belgium is always nice, the café at the Abbey is great and you can buy the beer for a reasonable price!! In my opinion the beer is not as good as the ones from Rochefort and not worth more than 3 or 4€/bottle... And the Rochefort 12 f.ex. is available here in Northrhine-Westphalia for €1.99/bottle... In Belgium even for ~€1.50 or less.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:26 Thu 1/19/2012

Originally posted by Erzengel
Yes, you are :-) - The "standard" Belgium beers (like Westmalle, Lindemans, etc.) can be found in Berlin, but there is no shop in Germany selling Westvleteren. And: A trip to Belgium is always nice, the café at the Abbey is great and you can buy the beer for a reasonable price!! In my opinion the beer is not as good as the ones from Rochefort and not worth more than 3 or 4€/bottle... And the Rochefort 12 f.ex. is available here in Northrhine-Westphalia for €1.99/bottle... In Belgium even for ~€1.50 or less.

I really like Westvleteren beers but agree, they’re not really worth more than Rochefort. Where in NRW do you get Rochefort?

Erzengel
beers 14471 º places 109 º 11:12 Thu 1/19/2012

Akzenta in Wuppertal has it ( http://www.akzenta-wuppertal.de/standorte/index.php), and as far as I can remember sometimes Rudat in Dortmund as well.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 06:10 Fri 1/20/2012

Akzenta in Wuppertal has it ( http://www.akzenta-wuppertal.de/standorte/index.php), and as far as I can remember sometimes Rudat in Dortmund as well.

Seriously? Price?

Erzengel
beers 14471 º places 109 º 14:40 Fri 1/20/2012

The Rochefort 12 at Akzenta: €1,99 + 8¢ deposit.

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 02:37 Sat 1/21/2012

Originally posted by Erlangernick

Seriously? Price?
Originally posted by Erlangernick

Seriously? Price?

Yes, indeed. I saw some bottles of Rochefort on the shelves of this large drinks-market last weekend....

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:19 Sat 1/21/2012

The Rochefort 12 at Akzenta: €1,99 + 8¢ deposit.

Erm...I thought you meant Westvleteren 12, not Rochefort. (And just a small quibble: Rochefort brew 6, 8, and 10, not a 12.)

Bzgl. Pfand: ich habe mir immer gedacht, dass ich kein Pfand mit Flaschen aus dem Ausland hier im Land einlösen kann. Stimmt das nicht? Kann ich Lambic- und Thornbridge Flaschen zum hiesigen Getränkemarkt nehmen?

Andererseits ist der Spaß, Flaschen in die Altglastonnen zu werfen, mir 8¢ wert. ;)

Erzengel
beers 14471 º places 109 º 07:45 Sat 1/21/2012

Sorry - of course Rochefort 10 - I always can’t remember the correct numbers...
--> Mit dem Pfand: Wenn der Getränkemarkt Flaschen dieser Form verkauft, wirst Du sie auch los - Rochefort sind die "normalen" Belgischen 0,33er-Flaschen - damit kannst Du die da auch abgeben. Werden ja dann zurückgeschickt & wieder befüllt.
Rudat hat die 0,375er und 0,75er Flaschen in grün (they sometimes have the Lindemans-Beers) - damit kannst Du alle Flaschen dieser Form da auch abgeben... (musst dann - je nachdem, wer da steht, dazusagen, dass das die selben Flaschen sind)...
Ich sammel die immer im Keller und nehme die dann mit nach Belgien... 10 - 15€ bekomme ich da immer zusammen, die ich dann gleich in neues Bier umsetze ;-)

brugmanneke
beers 283 º places 45 º 17:47 Mon 3/12/2012

@ Phier: If anybody is selling Westvleteren 12 to you, this person either has managed to acquire a number of Westvleteren gift packs that were sold in Belgian Colruyt supermarkets some months ago or he/she is acting against the express wish of the monks at the Sint Sixtus brewery, because the beer is only sold to individual customers and must not be re-sold. I have seen beer shops in Brussels offering a bottle of Westvleteren for free with large purchases and others selling it for outrageous prices. Even in bars/pubs outside Westvleteren, it seems impossible to order any of it nowadays (that was different some years ago).
If you are planning on following Erlangernick’s advice and book a trip to Westvleteren, be aware that availability is limited to what you can drink in the restaurant and what is available at the gift shop, unless you manage to make a reservation for larger quantities at the brewery and be there at the correct pickup time with a car.
That’s what a top ratebeer rating will do to a beer.... ;o)