What is a focused beer?

Reads 2881 • Replies 36 • Started Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:18:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 15:55 Wed 11/20/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by CLevar
To continue my trying to be right about terroir, after the grapes are harvested, they are crushed. The wine maker has to decide whether or not to crush with stems and leaves or with just the fruit. After that, to ferment with or without the skins. To ferment in stainless or in wood. To secondary in wood or go straight to the bottle. How long to leave in the secondary vessel. Which type of yeast to use. Etc., etc., etc. That is not just about growing good grapes. That is about knowing your ingredients and knowing what kind of wine you want to make.

I’d argue that what you are describing is part of the brewing *process*, not the terroir. Holding these process variables constant, I see the terroir more as the impact of the land (climate, soil type, native microflora, etc), NOT how the brewer chooses to use the ingredients the land has given him or her. What you are describing is more controllable, from recipe design and process engineering standpoint, than the intricacies of "terroir" as I see it.

How can you separate the two?

I read this as "How can you separate controllable variables from those outside of your control?"

My answer to that question should be apparent.

Consider- I could, given the resources, brew a beer here in Minnesota to the exact specifications and using the exact processes of traditional lambic producers. Yet the final product would likely be very different. In my mind, those differences exemplify terroir.

It seems like you are trying to change the specific meaning of the word terroir. Feel free to try to redefine it if you would like, but I think you are going to encounter resistance.

HornyDevil
17:09 Wed 11/20/2013

To continue my trying to be right about terroir, after the grapes are harvested, they are crushed. The wine maker has to decide whether or not to crush with stems and leaves or with just the fruit. After that, to ferment with or without the skins. To ferment in stainless or in wood. To secondary in wood or go straight to the bottle. How long to leave in the secondary vessel. Which type of yeast to use. Etc., etc., etc. That is not just about growing good grapes. That is about knowing your ingredients and knowing what kind of wine you want to make.

I’d argue that what you are describing is part of the brewing *process*, not the terroir. Holding these process variables constant, I see the terroir more as the impact of the land (climate, soil type, native microflora, etc), NOT how the brewer chooses to use the ingredients the land has given him or her. What you are describing is more controllable, from recipe design and process engineering standpoint, than the intricacies of "terroir" as I see it.

How can you separate the two?

I read this as "How can you separate controllable variables from those outside of your control?"

My answer to that question should be apparent.

Consider- I could, given the resources, brew a beer here in Minnesota to the exact specifications and using the exact processes of traditional lambic producers. Yet the final product would likely be very different. In my mind, those differences exemplify terroir.

How are you sure it would be SO different? Additionally, do you think someone could pick out which one was Minnesota brewed and which was Belgium brewed in a blind tasting? Better yet, how about differentiating between six Minnesota brewed lambics and six Belgium brewed ones?

The concept of terroir was essentially disproven by The Judgment of Paris. People can’t tell what is brewed where. They may be able to tell that they are different beverages, but that’s about it.

As far as the climate and soil influencing agriculture part, sure, it is obvious that it does. However, how much does it affect the end product? You can’t taste the soil in the grape. You can, however, taste that grapes were grown differently. Same as you can taste how the same hop grown in different locations tastes different. You may not know where it came from, but you will be able to appreciate a difference.

It seems like you are trying to change the specific meaning of the word terroir. Feel free to try to redefine it if you would like, but I think you are going to encounter resistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroir

Not trying to change the meaning. Just trying to point out what, exactly, it represents in the finished product.

HornyDevil
17:13 Wed 11/20/2013

Funny how far off topic this "discussion" has actually gotten. Nobody wants to discuss what characteristics they want in their beer, but they’re more than happy to split hairs over the use of a couple words used to convey the overall concept. Though I’m more than happy to continuously argue, you could not be missing the boat more by doing this.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 17:57 Wed 11/20/2013

As far as the climate and soil influencing agriculture part, sure, it is obvious that it does. However, how much does it affect the end product? You can’t taste the soil in the grape. You can, however, taste that grapes were grown differently. Same as you can taste how the same hop grown in different locations tastes different. You may not know where it came from, but you will be able to appreciate a difference.

I get where you are coming from, but I can tell you, as someone who has a number of relatives who own wineries, that you can taste a very noticeable difference between a wine made with grapes grown on a hill that has good drainage and minerally soil vs. the exact same grape variety grown on a hill that has good drainage and neutral soil, both of which are from the same microclimate and managed by the same person and end up in the same type of wine made using the same processes.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 17:59 Wed 11/20/2013

Funny how far off topic this "discussion" has actually gotten. Nobody wants to discuss what characteristics they want in their beer, but they’re more than happy to split hairs over the use of a couple words used to convey the overall concept. Though I’m more than happy to continuously argue, you could not be missing the boat more by doing this.

I want chaos in my beer. I do not want to be able to control every variable in my finished product, but yet I can to a large degree which is why talking about what I want in my beer is an uninteresting topic. I do like seeing intelligent thinking and conversation that is not about the same extremely stupid garbage threads that dominate several beer sites, though which is a breath of fresh air.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:18 Wed 11/20/2013

Originally posted by Cletus
I want chaos in my beer.

But focused chaos, right?

I agree to some extent: I want a beer that surprises me, but in a desirable way. I don’t want to brew similar to what I can buy in a store, I want to brew something new and interesting and enjoyable.

"Focused" is a term that I could apply to all types of beers, including ones that I don’t enjoy. Seeing as both "enjoyable" and "focused" are subjective terms, I’d much rather brew the former.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 18:23 Wed 11/20/2013

I tend to approach beer formulation as a minimizing process. Instead of making an "and the kitchen sink" beer where I just add a dozen different ingredients for the sake of supposed ’complexity’, I choose to try to find the simplest way to accomplish a goal.

For certain styles, I think that SMASH brews are a completely appropriate approach. I would view this as the starting point to building a focused beer. Take this base and MAKE IT. Taste is, critique it, learn about it, even brew it a couple times to ensure that your process is consistent before altering ingredients.

Then if you want to attempt to change something, add ONE thing, or alter ONE process, or change ONE ingredient at a time. Rebrew and repeat your analysis. Look for changes that have not simply made your beer ’more’ (the ’this one goes to 11’ problem). Decide whether or not the change has made the beer ’more correct’. Does that caramel malt in your IPA actually make the IPA better or just add another flavor that it doesn’t need?

Building in this way, you can find out at what point you have improved the beer in a slow, calculating way. Sure, you can overcompensate and skip to adding 5 more ingredients. Your beer will probably be fine, but you’ll never know that 2 of those ingredients are contributing nothing to your finished product, and people are very much resistant to going backwards and removing steps, processes, and ingredients from beers that they already deem as good. Their idea for improvement is always to add.

So to me, focus is minimalist.

(Hope this wasn’t too rambly)

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 21:16 Wed 11/20/2013

Originally posted by bitbucket
Note to self: RB homebrewers don’t care about making great beer

It’s probably fair to say they don’t check the forums obsessively for your posts.

The words "focused beer" by themselves don’t mean anything to me. It’s a meaningless phrase like "quality is job 1" or "support our troops." Support them financially? Philosophically? Emotionally? Support them as human beings? Support their mission?

If you say hop-focused or malt-focused, now we have something to talk about.

Please read the OP for more information on what the post is actually about before writing that the phrase is meaningless. I assure you that it has nothing to do with propaganda used to justify United States foreign policy.

straight-forward whether it is simple or complex.
Oxymoron, or meaningful?

Everything in balance while some parts take the spotlight.
Oxymoron, or meaningful?

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 23:57 Wed 11/20/2013

To me, a focused beer knows what it is and what it is for. It isn’t trying to be too many things. It’s clean and well-made. Its flavors might be strong or unbalanced, but there is an overall respect for an established culinary or brewing norm that condones whatever it has going in. Beers that are brewed "to-style" tend to be more focused, though you can certainly have focused beers that are completely out of any style. Styles have just organically developed around focused ideas on how a beer can and/or should taste. The platonic version of any given style is perhaps the definition of a focused beer.

I think we make focused beers. Some might disagree.

HornyDevil
14:15 Thu 11/21/2013

Originally posted by Cletus
I want chaos in my beer. I do not want to be able to control every variable in my finished product, but yet I can to a large degree which is why talking about what I want in my beer is an uninteresting topic.

But focused chaos, right?

I agree to some extent: I want a beer that surprises me, but in a desirable way. I don’t want to brew similar to what I can buy in a store, I want to brew something new and interesting and enjoyable.

I don’t understand this viewpoint. If my finished beer is different than what I envisioned it to be in the recipe formulation stage, I am pretty disappointed. That being said, I’ve had more than a few beers in my homebrewing tenure turn out to be enjoyable beers, but different than I thought they would be. I learned from them and drank them happily, but I very much did not like that they turned out that way.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer